Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amissus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
Sylva, NC
I upgraded to a used Mid 09 13" Macbook from a early g5 Imac.
My Macbook has El Capitan(I bought it installed) and it has become unstable. I tried to go back to Mavericks, Yosemite but it won't let me.
I can't be on it more than 10 minutes before it shuts down and shows the multi languages which I hear means "kernel panic". Trolls beware! Yes I'm a newbie and atrocious speller.
I have reinstalled El Capitan and that did not change anything. I was told to got back to previous OS but but I'm not able. What can I do now? (Other that toss it)

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I upgraded to a used Mid 09 13" Macbook from a early g5 Imac.
My Macbook has El Capitan(I bought it installed) and it has become unstable. I tried to go back to Mavericks, Yosemite but it won't let me.
I can't be on it more than 10 minutes before it shuts down and shows the multi languages which I hear means "kernel panic".
I have reinstalled El Capitan and that did not change anything. I was told to got back to previous OS but but I'm not able. What can I do now? (Other that toss it)
I'm not sure why you can not revert to a previous OS unless you do not have the needed resources. Here is an article on how to go back to a previous OS. It is the same process for reverting to Yosemite or Mavericks.

Reactions: amissus

amissus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
Sylva, NC
Thank you for the responses. I've Google this before asking on here so I've done a little leg work and tried to go backwards the normal way. I purchased My Macbook with a new hard drive, new ram and El Capitan installed. I removed the ram and reinstalled. I also reinstalled El Capitan.
My Old iMac ran Lion so I never owned the other OS/s in-between. This is the screen shot from My Apt store. I can't go backward by the normal means. Is there any way to buy Mavericks or Yosemite OS from Apple or and out side source on disk or usb? or down-grade some other way?
I've been working on this for a week and it's the first time working on something thats not plug and play. So my skill level is a 1or2 on a 1-10 scale.
Again Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 11.26.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 11.26.05 AM.png
    781.2 KB · Views: 184

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Without information re: kernel panic, tough to tell.

Said that a new drive was put in: maybe drive cable is damaged. Many threads on the board regarding that.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I can't go backward by the normal means. Is there any way to buy Mavericks or Yosemite OS from Apple or and out side source on disk or usb? or down-grade some other way?
Not from Apple. USB installers with Mavericks or Yosemite can be purchased on eBay or Amazon.

amissus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
Sylva, NC
Thanks for all the help. Re-downloading El Capitan on a faster broadband connection did the trick.
It is running fine now no more Kernel Panic.
Again Thanks
Mr. Amissus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.