Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
So I have been bouncing back and forth about the whole netbook game, and while the Dell Mini 9 is rather appealing, I frankly just don't want to deal with hacks.

I have the original 12" powerbook. the 867mhz one, which for me can't do much outside of iTunes and surfing the web.

What I'm curious about is, would the last rev. Powerbook G4 be sufficient for a mobile photo storage solution and possibly some light editing?

I'm well aware that it will not be supported in Snow Leopard, but the 12" Powerbook is just about the perfect form factor. Plus they are surprisingly resilient little machines.

This would not be my main computer or notebook. Just a on-location solution.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
So I have been bouncing back and forth about the whole netbook game, and while the Dell Mini 9 is rather appealing, I frankly just don't want to deal with hacks.

I have the original 12" powerbook. the 867mhz one, which for me can't do much outside of iTunes and surfing the web.

What I'm curious about is, would the last rev. Powerbook G4 be sufficient for a mobile photo storage solution and possibly some light editing?

I'm well aware that it will not be supported in Snow Leopard, but the 12" Powerbook is just about the perfect form factor. Plus they are surprisingly resilient little machines.

This would not be my main computer or notebook. Just a on-location solution.

As much as I love my old 12" I wouldn't ever consider buying into that old technology at this stage.

People still have a soft spot for them, so they're not as cheap as they should be for what they are.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I used to use a PowerBook 1.5Ghz 15" for photo editing, and it was alright. However, you need to max out the RAM and don't throw huge files at it - back then I was using an 8mp EOS 20D along with Photoshop CS. Considering that my 2.53Ghz uMBP can choke a bit on EOS 5D Mark II files, I certainly wouldn't push a PowerBook that hard.

If you just want to dump photos however, resolution doesn't matter.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I'd be more inclined to get something like a basic Vostro 1220 which will be much faster. Lightroom works fine on windows. That said, if you've got the G4 already it will probably be OK (slow proc, dimming screen, no warranty, small hard disk).

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If you shoot jpg, then with maxed out RAM, it might be ok. If you shoot RAW, just forget about it. Any Intel-based Mac would run circles around your machine.

Edit: I still occasionally use a 1.25 GHz PowerBook.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I used my PBG4 15" (1.33GHz G4) with 2GB RAM for a long time with LR2 and my D80 (10MP) files, and although it was a little slow it was more than usable. Even when dealing with large panos of 30 or more MP. In fact I ended up sticking with Lightroom over Aperture or DXO optics because LR2 seemed to run much much snappier on my PBG4 than the other programs.

However, with a 5DMk2 and what 21MP files? It's going to be pushing it shooting RAW I'd say. You could do it I'm sure but it may not be worth the money you'd spend to buy it, vs. a more recent piece of hardware.

FWIW the 13" MBP is a powerhouse and the form factor is not all that different than the 12" PBG4, a little thinner a little wider, probably lighter, and likely much more "solid" due to the UB design.

Ruahrc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.