Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
Well I'm starting my 2010 1 body 1 lens campaign until 2011. I'm using 5d mark II and the 50mm 1.8 So far i'm loving it and don't plan to buy any other lenses no time soon. My triggers finally came in and i'm officially good to go for portraits.

5D Mark II + 50mm 1.8
DSC04975.jpg

rf-602 triggers

IMG_1054.jpg

full light setup

IMG_1044.jpg

bracket and 430ex II speedlite

IMG_1045.jpg

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Is there a specific reason you are only using 1 lens? IMO part of the whole point of SLR systems is the interchangeable lenses. Why deliberately deprive yourself of one of the key strengths of the SLR system?

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
One of the main reasons was because I had a 7D and didn't really care for the 28-135mm lens and only used the 50mm 1.8 95% of the time. I decided to get a sigma 30mm 1.4 cause the 50mm was a pain at taking pictures inside on a crop. Then noticed for the $350+ price tag for the sigma 30 1.4 I could jump from the 7d to the 5d mark II. I fell in love with the 50mm so much that I will let this be my only lens for the next 8 months to find tone my skills etc.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Is there a specific reason you are only using 1 lens? IMO part of the whole point of SLR systems is the interchangeable lenses. Why deliberately deprive yourself of one of the key strengths of the SLR system?
I also use a single 50mm on a digital full frame body.

An SLR system having interchangeable lenses is just a bullet point to the other advantages of the system.

I use a single lens because I prefer its focal length and do not need anything else for most situations, prefer the speed avantange of fixed lenses over zoom lenses, the smaller size and weight and the smaller cost.

There's also the ever popular argument of saying fixed lenses train your eyes quicker to its field of view but let's not get into that.

camgrant84

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
Sydney
One of the main reasons was because I had a 7D and didn't really care for the 28-135mm lens and only used the 50mm 1.8 95% of the time. I decided to get a sigma 30mm 1.4 cause the 50mm was a pain at taking pictures inside on a crop. Then noticed for the $350+ price tag for the sigma 30 1.4 I could jump from the 7d to the 5d mark II. I fell in love with the 50mm so much that I will let this be my only lens for the next 8 months to find tone my skills etc.

From what I can work out, you went from a T1i to a 7D to a 5DII in ~45 days?

I'm curious whether you will last with 1 lens for 8 months - but it's a very nice set up.

Go out and enjoy it.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
From what I can work out, you went from a T1i to a 7D to a 5DII in ~45 days?

I'm curious whether you will last with 1 lens for 8 months - but it's a very nice set up.

Go out and enjoy it.

I will stay with the 5d no matter what. I'm loving full frame and I mostly do portraits. I plan to stay and learn 1 camera so this 1 lens 1 body will force me to learn alot of things. I need to focus on flash asap

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
While I totally can appreciate doing photography with a single lens, I do it from time to time myself. I have to say, that if I only had ONE lens, it wouldn't be the 50 1.8. If I may suggest, if your budget still allows, I would spring for the 50 1.4. I own the 1.8, and as much as I love it, I wouldn't rely on it as my only lens. The last thing you want is for your lens to let you down and you're stuck with a camera body and no lens. I'm not suggesting that you run out and buy it this second, because some guy on the internet told you to. Just consider it, especially if you're going to be doing any type of work where you'll get paid, or someone is relying on you to do a job. If this is just a hobby, and you can live without a lens for a week or whatever till you get new lens, then by all means, stick with the 1.8.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
Enjoy your challenge. Are you uploading shots/blogging anywhere so we can keep track on how your progressing?

As you can see in my sig, I've got the 5DII and 50mm 1.8 and it does make a great combination. I love how lightweight and small the combo is, although I am currently drooling over a 35L! Completely different league/price I know!

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I think it's a good challenge to try and shoot with only 1 lens, makes you think a little more about the shot you are taking and really can spur creativity! Looking forward to seeing your shots!

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
Enjoy your challenge. Are you uploading shots/blogging anywhere so we can keep track on how your progressing?

As you can see in my sig, I've got the 5DII and 50mm 1.8 and it does make a great combination. I love how lightweight and small the combo is, although I am currently drooling over a 35L! Completely different league/price I know!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/downsproductions/

added it to my sig

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I love the idea, and I think the 50mm focal length is just about perfect for most things on a FF body.

However, for this particular application (portraiture), I would think that 50mm would be a bit short. You're going to have to get quite close to the subject to get H&S portraits, and this can cause all kinds of nasty things to happen to perspective. If I were doing mainly portraits and wanted to focus on one lens on FF, it would definitely be some variety of 85mm (f/1.8 or 1.2).

Nevertheless, I think the idea is a great one, and will help improve your photography immensely. In fact, one could extend this into the general realm of shooting strictly with prime lenses, which is the road I'm on now (just keeping the 70-200 f/2.8 around for events).

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
However, for this particular application (portraiture), I would think that 50mm would be a bit short. You're going to have to get quite close to the subject to get H&S portraits, and this can cause all kinds of nasty things to happen to perspective.

One other consideration some people neglect regarding focal length and portraiture is that some people are a little uncomfortable when a large camera is put up close to their face, and a greater working distance can help them relax.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.