Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
1. I've run into a major problem of late. It seemed to start after I upgraded, inadvertently, to iOS 15.1 on my iPad.

In Safari, in the text entry box, I used to be able to select a word and then drag the edge marker of the highlight to select more text. Now, whenever I try that, Mac Rumors scrolls way back up the page away from the text entry box! You end up having to scroll back down, where you'll find some extra letters selected. AFAIK, MacRumors is the only website where this text selection funny business happens!

2. A long-standing issue. I'll be looking at a thread and decide to log in to post a comment… that works; however, MacRumors doesn't return to the thread automatically. It just sits there. If I go back a page in Safari, it returns me to the log in screen. If I go back another page to the thread, I'm still not logged in! I have to refresh the page and, then, it will show I've logged in. Other websites nicely return you to where you left off right after you log in without any of this fuss.

Oddly, though, it seems to work OK if I start to post a new thread under a forum and log in as part of that. As happened in posting this entry. Text selection also works OK, too — see Issue #1 above.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
One additional note about #1.

After I log in, the screen that appears says “You’re already logged in”. But I wasn’t!

Nor, as I mentioned, does it return me to the thread where I was, but lands me in a labyrinth!

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Are you using any content blockers with Safari? The weird log in issues may be related to that.

I haven't been able to replicate the text selection issue, hopefully someone can chime in on that.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
For sure, I have ad blockers and Apple's suite of privacy and do not track features turned on. Today, when I logged in, it worked fine! So, it's not consistent.

Yes, the text selection continues to be a problem. This is under iOS 15.1. I enter several paragraph for a comment, then want to select a line or two or several words for deletion or cutting and pasting and it scrolls way up! And, I lose my place. But it's not consistent. For example, I couldn't replicate it for this thread and this comment. Could it be related multi-page threads? Or, for text entry that is more than screen long? Or, when Quotes have been selected? I'll pay attention.

In the meantime, I'll post this in the iPad forum or iOS 15 one and see if anyone else has experienced this! It could be a more general problem than just MacRumors.

TheBigDog

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
London, United Kingdom
You haven't said if you've completed any basic troubleshooting, like clearing history and website data or tried another web browser.

All sounds like just Javascript weirdness that would probably be fixed by clearing the cache.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Appreciate the follow-up. I regularly clear history and website data. But the problem remains.

Haven't tried Firefox yet, but the Safari misbehavior started happening AFTER upgrading to iOS 15.1 from 14.8, so I do hold Apple responsible! ?

And, others are confirming the similar problems with 15.1.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
BUMP!

Glitches continue, but MacRumors is the ONLY website where this happens. One simply cannot highlight and drag to select text! As explained earlier, it ends up scrolling up the page, way up the page.

One can triple tap to select a paragraph, but it is impossible to select more than a few words without the outlandish scroll back, well away from the text box.

Hope you all fix this—it's very fristrating!

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm using Safari on an iPhone, I'm not having the issue where it scrolls up. The tap and hold on a word to highlight does not work but if you double tap a word it does the job.

@Saturn007, have you tried it on other forums? I've tested it on Anandtech's, which uses the same Xenforo software as us. I have the same type of issue.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Sman, just saw your reply! Thanks for checking out my issue. Haven't tried the forums at Anandtech's; not a member.

Have you tried the drag-and-select with an iPad on MacRumors? Maybe there's a device difference.

The bug is most obvious in multi-paragraph entries in a text box! Try the iPad forum — e.g., try appending a comment to the thread

When I cut-and-pasted this very comment at the end of that thread, the double-click, drag-select goes bonkers!

Weirdly, the bug behaves differently with the same comment in this thread!

Here, I can double click and drag-select a couple of lines, even across a paragraph break, IF I start at the beginning of the comment. But then, it will suddenly stop selecting. If I start the selecting further down, it will stop selecting at the end of a paragraph. There is, though, no sudden, bizarre, upwards scrolling here as there is with text boxes in other MR forums and threads!

Do you know whom to contact at Xenforo to alert to the problems?

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Sman, just saw your reply! Thanks for checking out my issue. Haven't tried the forums at Anandtech's; not a member.

Have you tried the drag-and-select with an iPad on MacRumors? Maybe there's a device difference.

The bug is most obvious in multi-paragraph entries in a text box! Try the iPad forum — e.g., try appending a comment to the thread

When I cut-and-pasted this very comment at the end of that thread, the double-click, drag-select goes bonkers!

Weirdly, the bug behaves differently with the same comment in this thread!

Here, I can double click and drag-select a couple of lines, even across a paragraph break, IF I start at the beginning of the comment. But then, it will suddenly stop selecting. If I start the selecting further down, it will stop selecting at the end of a paragraph. There is, though, no sudden, bizarre, upwards scrolling here as there is with text boxes in other MR forums and threads!

Do you know whom to contact at Xenforo to alert to the problems?
I don't have an iPad to test it with at the moment.

There is a bug report forum on Xenforo's official site but they ask to replicate the situation off their forum first.

https://xenforo.com/community/forums/bugs/

It's possible the issue is just on our forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.