Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chentl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I have a MBP 15" 2016 w/ Radeon Pro 460. After upgrading to 10.12.2, I found that my battery can barely holding up to 3 hours, just using Pages to edit some documents. This is way less then 6 hours that I can get before the 10.2.2 upgrade.

By checking information in iStat Menus, I found that when my MacBook is using the integrated GPU, the discrete GPU will still stay powered on. And the "not-in-used" dGPU even uses more power (9~11 Watts) than "in-used" dGPU would use (~4 Watts) under not intensive works.

I try to restart it, and just after the restart the issue was fixed, dGPU powers off when using iGPU. But after some times while an application uses the dGPU and then exit, the dGPU stays powered on again. I don't know if there is any fix for this? I simply can't restart every time after some apps use the dGPU.

When enable "Automatic graphics switching", system switched to the iGPU, but the dGPU is using 10.0W of power:
Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 1.27.46 PM.png
When disable "Automatic graphics switching", system switched to the dGPU, and it only uses 4.71W of power:
Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 1.27.46 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 1.27.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 1.27.11 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 178

Macaman

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2014
I can confirm this, I have exactly the same problem. I noticed much higher idle temperatures than normally without doing anything. then I noticed that the battery time was worse than before for no obvious reason. I checked Istat menus and found out that the discrete GPU was using 10 W at the same time as the computer used the integrated GPU.

After restarting the computer it got temporarily fixed just to happen again after the discrete GPU kicked in.

This needs a fast fix!

chentl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I can confirm this, I have exactly the same problem. I noticed much higher idle temperatures than normally without doing anything. then I noticed that the battery time was worse than before for no obvious reason. I checked Istat menus and found out that the discrete GPU was using 10 W at the same time as the computer used the integrated GPU.

After restarting the computer it got temporarily fixed just to happen again after the discrete GPU kicked in.

This needs a fast fix!

It seems at least Safari has some thing to do with this issue. When I open some web pages, the MBP would switch to the dGPU for a second and then switch back, after that the dGPU stays powered on. I tried to disable the "Allow WebGL" option in Safari and then it seems that Safari will no longer trigger that issue. But after some other apps use the dGPU the problem starts to happen again. I'm trying to find out how many apps will cause this. This is really annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.