Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codpeace

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2011
NYC
Hi All,

Before this update, my fans almost never ran on this machine and it was silent. And it usually felt very cool to the touch. Now, however, the fans run pretty much constantly and the machine feels hot up around the hinge and the touch bar area. And it is NOISY. I updated yesterday (might have been the day before, I forget).

Anyone else noticing this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

fluamsler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
Same here on my 15" MacBook Pro mid 2015. Permanently reeving fans and the keys around the top center are warm. Resetting the SMC and PR RAM only helps for a couple of minutes. A bit later the problem is back and they increasing the rotation speed.
I had already reeving fans with closed display after a while with 10.13 and 10.13.1 but 10.13.2 made it much worse!

I think you can only hope Apple will fix this in a later Update. Or wait with future updates until 10.x.3 or 10.x.4. :(

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Other than noise - are you MBP's seem to be very slow also as if something is also running using all the cpu?

Codpeace

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2011
NYC
@CTHarrryH -- No. Everything is otherwise operating normally. I've been keeping an eye on Activity Monitor and there seems a lot of "kernel task" activity burning CPU time but that's all I can discern.

@blaichch -- Thanks for that. I'm in the process of following the list of things to try from that page. I'll report back.

Really appreciate the assistance, y'all.

Codpeace

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2011
NYC
An update: I'm quite sure the problem was user error and not the OS. I did all the SMC reset stuff, etc., but in the process of all the restarts I noticed that the problem really only occurred when Safari was active. I closed a bunch of windows/tabs and I think I had something open that was either running the discrete GPU or was demanding a lot of CPU time.

Problem sovled for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.