Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
My Classic Mac Pro 5,1, which is a flashed 4,1 has been upgrading and running the OS without problem up to 10.13.6. Disk Utility just indicated a consistency error on the boot drive, which is a 240GB APFS SSD with 100GB free. When I tried to reboot from the recovery partition it just booted from the startup. Looking at the drive in disk utility I see there is no recovery partition. The boot disk has 100GB free with 4.8 purgeable. How do I add a recovery partition? Is it possible to add one to a free 127GB scratch SSD?

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Carbon Copy Cloner by Bombich may do this for you, I know it can create a recovery disk but I'm not sure if that requires an existing one.
You can experiment with the free trial.

sonamo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
California
My Classic Mac Pro 5,1, which is a flashed 4,1 has been upgrading and running the OS without problem up to 10.13.6. Disk Utility just indicated a consistency error on the boot drive, which is a 240GB APFS SSD with 100GB free. When I tried to reboot from the recovery partition it just booted from the startup. Looking at the drive in disk utility I see there is no recovery partition. The boot disk has 100GB free with 4.8 purgeable. How do I add a recovery partition? Is it possible to add one to a free 127GB scratch SSD?
You might try this utility:
https://github.com/MagerValp/Create-Recovery-Partition-Installer

You can also make your own recovery USB drive:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Reactions: macmesser

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
As has been posted... Carbon Copy Cloner can create a Recovery partition for you and no, it does not have to have an existing one available to do so. CCC has a fully function trial version you can download from their site.

sonamo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
California
As has been posted... Carbon Copy Cloner can create a Recovery partition for you and no, it does not have to have an existing one available to do so. CCC has a fully function trial version you can download from their site.
Carbon Copy Cloner is a fantastic app, sounds like a plan!

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

Thanks. Will check out.
[doublepost=1536100362][/doublepost]

Great and thanks. According to Disk Utility the inconsistency can't be repaired. I will have to clone the disk to a new drive, per Drive Genius, and reformat before cloning back.
[doublepost=1536101147][/doublepost]
Carbon Copy Cloner is a fantastic app, sounds like a plan!

Thanks for suggestion. Will definitely try it. My Boot drive was APFS formatted. When I clone I think I will go with the old HFS format so I can use Disk Warrior.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.