Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollowplayer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Anyone notice location service arrow pops up every few hours for 1 or 2 seconds then disappeared. and in privacy location settings there is no purple arrow showing the exact application that was using it within past hours. I noticed in latest Sierra 10.12.4 that setting time zone location service arrow pops up once a while even its off, could it be the time zone location bug in 10.3?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Anyone notice location service arrow pops up every few hours for 1 or 2 seconds then disappeared. and in privacy location settings there is no purple arrow showing the exact application that was using it within past hours. I noticed in latest Sierra 10.12.4 that setting time zone location service arrow pops up once a while even its off, could it be the time zone location bug in 10.3?
Yeah, there's usually a gray arrow next to the time zone location service even if you always have it off.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

NightShift mode relies on your time zone if you set it to sunset > sunrise. This applies to both iOS and MacOS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I see the location services arrow almost randomly appear sometimes as I'm unlocking my phone and other times as I'm hanging up a call. Looking through the location services settings it doesn't show any apps with a purple arrow indicating recently using location services and the same applies to system services, although the set time zone location service, despite being disabled, has a gray arrow next to it as if it has been used sometime in the past day.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
So sometimes I see that something is going on in locations (arrow pops up) for couple of seconds, but then disappear. When I go to privacy>location there is nothing to see (zero arrows gray, purple). I only have FMI enabled but there isn't any location activity to show.

I usually see this when I unlock the phone, but I sometimes see this when I'm using phone. Tried to reset privacy and location, but arrow is still there sometimes.

Any clue?

Do you guys have that bug/problem?

iPhone 7

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
So sometimes I see that something is going on in locations (arrow pops up) for couple of seconds, but then disappear. When I go to privacy>location there is nothing to see (zero arrows gray, purple). I only have FMI enabled but there isn't any location activity to show.

I usually see this when I unlock the phone, but I sometimes see this when I'm using phone. Tried to reset privacy and location, but arrow is still there sometimes.

Any clue?

Do you guys have that bug/problem?

iPhone 7
Have you gone to System Services toward the bottom of Location Services? Likely, one of these is using your location. Many of them you can turn off without affecting your user experience, as you can see by my screenshot.

Attachments

• IMG_3494.PNG
    IMG_3494.PNG
    163.4 KB · Views: 438

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Have you gone to System Services toward the bottom of Location Services? Likely, one of these is using your location. Many of them you can turn off without affecting your user experience, as you can see by my screenshot.
As I said, many of them are turned off, well all of them except Find My iPhone, but there is nothing next to FMI, there isn't any arrow pointing that it was used.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
As I said, many of them are turned off, well all of them except Find My iPhone, but there is nothing next to FMI, there isn't any arrow pointing that it was used.
Sorry, but you said you went to privacy, then location, but never specified you had checked system services. I was just making sure.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Anything by the Set Time Zone option (unless you have that enabled)?

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
d2def55e44e0bdfed1ca5baa27aa9f4c.png

@C DM
You are correct. But... How is this possible? I have never turned this on? Still it is pointing out that was used... Hmmm...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
d2def55e44e0bdfed1ca5baa27aa9f4c.png

@C DM
You are correct. But... How is this possible? I have never turned this on? Still it is pointing out that was used... Hmmm...
Yup, that's what various people in this thread have been noticing since iOS 10.3.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seem to be noticing the location service arrow coming on during calls at times (often enough that I took notice of it). The only thing in settings that has an arrow showing up next to it is setting time zone (even though its disabled). Something's certainly off somewhere.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
@C DM did you went on 10.3.x with clean install or OTA? I updated via OTA, maybe to try clean install, but I don't think it will solve the popping out location arrow.

bradztheman

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Uk

I am so glad i came across this thread, as the same thing has been happening to me in ios 10.3.1 also!!

Sometimes i'll go to unlock my phone and it'll stay appeared for 3 seconds or so then disappear, other times randomly! I have toggled OFF all of the location settings for each thing, and after 48 hours the grey icon appears only next to setting time zone, EVEN THOUGH IT ISNT ENABLED!! How bloody annoying. Has to be an iphone ios 10.3 bug!!
[doublepost=1492812915][/doublepost]Glad im not the only one. Thought i was being tracked for something

Reactions: imagineadam

DeadKlau5

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
They didn't fixed it :(
I'm on the latest beta iOS 10.3.2 beta 4

Attachments

• IMG_0374.PNG
    IMG_0374.PNG
    154.1 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.