Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Just noticed this the day after updating. iPhone 7 no longer will play youtube video sound with the screen locked but restarted via headphones.

So, playing a Youtube video, locking the screen, restarting sound via headphones no longer works via Safari.

Google Chrome will still do it, FYI

Seems like another push to Apple Music, or just the usual feature removal nonsense.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Might just be a bug but wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional.....oh well, I'm sure you'll find another way to not pay for the music you want to listen to.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I don't listen to music on Youtube. I listen to Ted talks, podcasty stuff, and news things. Oh well, I'm sure you'll find something wrong with that too. :rolleyes:

Ha! My bad....so use to whining millennials who believe they are entitled to free music and free wifi that I've gotten both salty and presumptuous. But you could still download the audio as MP3 files and listen, no? And you should post this issue in 10.3 forum in case it truly is just a bug.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Fair enough. I just get salty every time Apple removes a useful feature, kills an app, or EOL's stuff to reintroduce a poorer version later. I posted in the appropriate thread. :)
Well, there could also be the possibility that Google asked them to change it (or that it's a bug of some sort).

Reactions: Applejuiced

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
10.3 didn't remove the feature. It was removed long before. And the reason is due to the API. It isn't a matter of Apple trying to push people to their music subscription, it is a matter of Google doing the pushing.

edited to add: Turn your auto-lock off. That should solve your problem.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Just noticed this the day after updating. iPhone 7 no longer will play youtube video sound with the screen locked but restarted via headphones.

So, playing a Youtube video, locking the screen, restarting sound via headphones no longer works via Safari.

Google Chrome will still do it, FYI

Seems like another push to Apple Music, or just the usual feature removal nonsense.

I'm listening to YouTube on safari right now. Hasn't been removed for me.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
This...

Attachments

• IMG_0244.PNG
    IMG_0244.PNG
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 366

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Once you close your SAFARI YouTube window, bring up control center. Your YouTube video will show in the audio controls and you can press play. Then you can lock your phone and listen as you normally would.

For me this only works while playing a YT video from within Safari. Won't work in the YT app.

Reactions: nordique

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
for me
Once you close your SAFARI YouTube window, bring up control center. Your YouTube video will show in the audio controls and you can press play. Then you can lock your phone and listen as you normally would.

For me this only works while playing a YT video from within Safari. Won't work in the YT app.

for me when I do this it will show in control center but when i press play it will play out of apple music.

Reactions: tremlock

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
odd indeed. Tested on a 6 with 10.2.x and it still worked. The 10.3 update broke it for me on a 7, and 10.3.1 hasn't fixed.

going to try a restore. :\
How are you listening? I tried the YouTube App, YT music, safari, Chrome and all work fine when screen locked I was listening then pushed button to lock screen audio didn't glitch at all. I do have YouTube Red if that makes a difference.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
How are you listening? I tried the YouTube App, YT music, safari, Chrome and all work fine when screen locked I was listening then pushed button to lock screen audio didn't glitch at all. I do have YouTube Red if that makes a difference.

YouTube red allows for background streaming from the app. Normally only the YouTube site from Safari allows background streaming not the actual app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.