Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulhware

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2018
General > Multitasking & Dock > (dock) Show suggested & recent apps > Disable

And yet, I'm still getting app suggestions in the dock. First it was Youtube, now it's a news app, that I don't even open unless an important headline comes up in my notifications. Yet, machine learning has decided that this app will now turn up in my dock, whenever it feels like it. Not just turn up and stay there, but slide into my dock whenever I go to the home page, as if to remind me that it's there.

Apple doesn't even have the decency to let you delete the icon from the dock. You can't move it, since it exists alongside the icon for the actual app. So you'll have your regular app icon, and another icon in the dock with an alarm clock icon in the corner. I have Siri disabled, so I'm not sure what else it could be other than a bug relating to multitasking, that's been around for months.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to reset my iPad over this. It'll just take time, and there's no guarantee that it'll fix it. If it's a bug, then a clean start rather than a restore wouldn't help either. I deleted Youtube for this, but I'd have more trouble deleting my news app. It only started a couple days ago, but I already know how this bug works.

Reactions: rui no onna

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Works for me. Reset the device as there most likely is some corrupt config/plist file.

Last edited by a moderator:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I leave this turned on, but would turn it off if it would mean that I could shove three more of my favorite apps in the dock. Though it's handy having it on sometimes because then it's easier to drag the odd app to the side for multitasking.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I think this is your problem:

79CA4A0C-350E-4EF3-A4E0-22557D4C1A1E.jpeg

paulhware

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2018
^ OK I'll give it a few days to see if Handoff has an effect on it. I don't have any other Apple devices so I don't see how that could be it. But if it works I'm not complaining.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
What's with this presumption they folk have these days that because they personally have a problem with either a device or software, that this must be a bug that a software manufacturer must fix now, despite no-one else suffering from it.

I get that things like this can be annoying, but even when my Apple Watch 3 started to fall victim to the "<100% charging" bug, my first thought was to ask if this was a known issue as opposed to just outright demanding Apple 'fix a long standing' bug...

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What's with this presumption they folk have these days that because they personally have a problem with either a device or software, that this must be a bug that a software manufacturer must fix now, despite no-one else suffering from it.

I get that things like this can be annoying, but even when my Apple Watch 3 started to fall victim to the "<100% charging" bug, my first thought was to ask if this was a known issue as opposed to just outright demanding Apple 'fix a long standing' bug...
I'm experiencing the same issues on a 5th gen iPad. Same as the OP, I don't actually have other devices on the iCloud account it's used with (test/debug account). I do believe it's cataloged in the iOS 11 bugs thread. What causes it? No idea. That's for Apple to investigate. Anyway, I reported it to Apple when I first encountered the issue (maybe 2-4 months ago?).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
data point: Disabling recent/suggested apps in the dock works on my 2018 iPad.
That used to work for me but then suddenly, it stopped working. No idea what caused it.

Due to this, other glitches and poor memory management, I've been keeping my primary iPads (Pro 9.7 and Pro 12.9) on iOS 10 still. For those, factory reset and setup as new is not a workable solution. Hopefully, iOS 12 would be more geared towards stability and optimization. Mayhaps by then, iCloud message syncing would also be working properly and ready for deployment.

paulhware

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2018
I think this is your problem:

View attachment 762785
Sadly it didn’t work. I still get the icon. I have a 128gb iPad Pro 9.7, so I can’t really have downtime resetting and downloading 128gb apps again, especially over a metered connection. Thanks for everyone who made a useful contribution. What’s with the presumption that when folks have an issue, they should keep quiet about it? I’d love to see the tech company that patches all their problems without any user feedback whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.