Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iThink Apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Hello everyone!

I have been using a iPad Mini 4 for a few years and I think it is time to upgrade :) I want to take the jump and maybe go with the 11" iPad Pro. I don't travel much and this would be used a bit for work at home and for pleasure. I would love to get the Apple Pencil as well and do some basic things and some light video editing. I would love to get your thoughts, is the 11" iPad Pro worth it? Also, I know that technology always evolves but do you guys think this new gen iPad Pro is a good gen to buy or should I wait next year?

Thanks!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The iPad Pro can handle all that you mentioned and so much more. It is a wonderful upgrade from an iPad mini 4 much less the iPad mini 5. I had the iPad mini 5 and bought a new iPad Pro 11 (2020) and have had it a week. I have no regrets and have been very satisified. I bought the Apple Pencil as well as the Magic Keyboard. No need to wait.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
The iPad forum is full of experiences - of all kinds. Only you can determine if it’s worth it in your life. Apple offers 2 weeks return policy during which you’re allowed to test the iPad to see if it’s a good fit. I encourage you to do that, and get the accessories you want straight away with it.

Reactions: AE_stc and thexash

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Although I had previous iPad models (including an iPad Pro 10.5), for the past year I had been using an iPad Mini 5 as my only iPad. In May I upgraded to a refurb iPad Pro 12.9 and what an incredible difference. Having so much more screen space and all the other pro features has sold me on staying with iPad Pros from here on out. I use it with the Magic Keyboard, and no longer feel the need for a separate laptop.

Yes to what @ericwn mentioned that the iPad (and iPad Accessories) forums are full of good member experiences about the IPP 11 and 12.9. I hope you enjoy reading through it. If you have specific questions about certain features or options, feel free to ask. We're a pretty enthusiastic bunch.

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
Just got my 11 up and running, physical manufacturing defects asides it’s a great tablet.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
I also have the mini 4 for years and bought the 11 Pro 2018 refurb. The 11” pro is pretty awesome..but I do still gravitate towards my mini 4 for general use due to the size. I tend to use the iPad without glasses so I need to hold the iPad A little closer to my face. The 11” pro is too big whereas the mini 4 is the perfect size for me.

That said, when wearing glasses or when trying to do work, the 11” Pro is just large enough. It does make me wonder about the 12.9” from time to time.. ;)

Kqkq

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
Hello everyone!

I have been using a iPad Mini 4 for a few years and I think it is time to upgrade :) I want to take the jump and maybe go with the 11" iPad Pro. I don't travel much and this would be used a bit for work at home and for pleasure. I would love to get the Apple Pencil as well and do some basic things and some light video editing. I would love to get your thoughts, is the 11" iPad Pro worth it? Also, I know that technology always evolves but do you guys think this new gen iPad Pro is a good gen to buy or should I wait next year?

Thanks!
The 11” IPad Pro is probably one of best products they have ever released (and best value).
Mine broke 18 months old - I’m due to go see if there is a fix for black screen with battery showing but not charging - very very upset as have read there is no fix and the charge is ridiculous. 1000 quid for a placemat! I looked after it, never dropped always in a case. I’m furious After reading this seems to happen yet my old iPad went on forever. The c charger port or whatever it’s called I think could be the problem as it’s a part that can move. Not sure if that’s what it is - I’ve cleaned the port, tried three cables, tried hard reset ..... zilch !

• Sad
Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I absolutely LOVE my 11” pro, and the Magic Keyboard, for me, is a game changer. Of course my 11” pro is pretty much my only computing device, having sold my iMac, so having a good keyboard option was important to me.

There are many that recommend the 12.9, and honestly, you just can’t go wrong with a pro either way. I, personally, like the 11” for its portability, and also for holding/reading off the keyboard. It gives you plenty more screen real estate than a mini without feeling too cumbersome in the hand. I don’t think you can go wrong.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Before I got my new iPad Pro 11 a week ago, the iPad mini 5 was my favorite iOS device next to the Apple Watch. The iPad Pro has replaced the iPad mini 5 in that regard.

Same here. I loved my mini 5. But I grew tired of trying to read comics on the small screen and watching movies on the go now is infinitely better. For as much as I loved my mini 5 I am much happier with my iPad Pro 11. I held onto my mini 5 to make sure and have since sold it as I am now positive I am definitely keeping the pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.