Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandy-Boi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2020
So once all this Quarantine stuff ends, I’ve been looking into upgrading my iPhone since I’m eligible for one. I have a red 8+ I got on its launch when I was due for a new phone after my 6S was dying (had a free battery change, phone still died permanently after two years of service) and I’m considering treating myself with a newer iPhone. I love my 8+ but it battery is showing its age and will be due for a change soon, so I’m weighing my options. I figured after two years of service instead of a battery change since I’m eligible for an upgrade I may as well treat myself to a new, stronger phone.

I have my sights set on the 11 Max Pro, but also heard about the rumored 12 which should be stronger I’d imagine. I don’t like how the newer iPhones lack a touch pad for Touch ID but I think the rumors claim the 12 will reintroduce it. My 8+ battery life is still doable even after two long years of work, so it’s not in any dire need to upgrade immediately. I’m liking the rumored specs of the alleged 12 Max Pro, my concern is if you think think it’s worth waiting for the 12 or if the 11PM is enough? Is it worth the wait, if I’m gonna upgrade to a new phone I may as well make sure it’s worth it and will last a long time.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Uhh I'd try out an 11proMax before falling in love with it. Some people can't tolerate looking at the screen. You may be bored of your 8 plus but for many it's the only big screen iPhone that's usable

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Brandy-Boi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2020
Uhh I'd try out an 11proMax before falling in love with it. Some people can't tolerate looking at the screen. You may be bored of your 8 plus but for many it's the only big screen iPhone that's usable

Well I have a long time to research and think about it, I’m in no rush especially with the Quarantine. I’m curious to know peoples input on the phone, as well if I should wait it out for the 12 and hope it’s better.

Honestly the one thing that kinda turns me away from the newer models was the lack of a touch pad, but I heard the tab management is relatively easy to get the hang of. The next time I get the chance I’ll definitely inspect an 11 at a Best Buy.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
So once all this Quarantine stuff ends, I’ve been looking into upgrading my iPhone since I’m eligible for one. I have a red 8+ I got on its launch when I was due for a new phone after my 6S was dying (had a free battery change, phone still died permanently after two years of service) and I’m considering treating myself with a newer iPhone. I love my 8+ but it battery is showing its age and will be due for a change soon, so I’m weighing my options. I figured after two years of service instead of a battery change since I’m eligible for an upgrade I may as well treat myself to a new, stronger phone.

I have my sights set on the 11 Max Pro, but also heard about the rumored 12 which should be stronger I’d imagine. I don’t like how the newer iPhones lack a touch pad for Touch ID but I think the rumors claim the 12 will reintroduce it. My 8+ battery life is still doable even after two long years of work, so it’s not in any dire need to upgrade immediately. I’m liking the rumored specs of the alleged 12 Max Pro, my concern is if you think think it’s worth waiting for the 12 or if the 11PM is enough? Is it worth the wait, if I’m gonna upgrade to a new phone I may as well make sure it’s worth it and will last a long time.
I’m waiting for a Touch ID and Face ID combo. I hope the rumors are true. For you OP, I would wait. It’s only 5-6 months more to go before the 12 gets announced.

Brandy-Boi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2020
I’m waiting for a Touch ID and Face ID combo. I hope the rumors are true. For you OP, I would wait. It’s only 5-6 months more to go before the 12 gets announced.

Thank you for the normal answer/response I was looking for, I'm only held back from the newer models becasue of the lack of a touch pad for fingerprints so I'm hoping the 12 will have something similar to make tab/app management easier. A few months away isn't much of a wait and I'm in no rush, I'm also interested on opinions on the 11's screen since it lacks the pads.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Thank you for the normal answer/response I was looking for, I'm only held back from the newer models becasue of the lack of a touch pad for fingerprints so I'm hoping the 12 will have something similar to make tab/app management easier. A few months away isn't much of a wait and I'm in no rush, I'm also interested on opinions on the 11's screen since it lacks the pads.
I also had the xr which is the same screen as the 11. It’s a really good ips display. People got over the a little higher than 720p display (at least there was less outrage). I kinda doubt the regular model (non-pro) would have the inscreen Touch ID plus face id. I bet it would be a high end feature.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I still have an 8 Plus as well and was considering the 11 Pro for the camera and battery life upgrade. It's probably best to just wait since we're only 6 months away. I too am hoping that there is some sort of Touch ID/Face ID combo as I've never cared much for the look of the X series nor the lack of Touch ID.

Reactions: 1rottenapple

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I still have an 8 Plus as well and was considering the 11 Pro for the camera and battery life upgrade. It's probably best to just wait since we're only 6 months away. I too am hoping that there is some sort of Touch ID/Face ID combo as I've never cared much for the look of the X series nor the lack of Touch ID.
I love Face ID because it’s pretty seamless when you pick it up and it unlocks automatically. However it’s those time when it’s on the table and you want to unlock it or when you wake up first thing in the morning and the drool on your cheek and squinty eyes causes it too fail.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
8 Plus is practically a new phone in the big picture. 6 or 6S would be another story. Wait for 12.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I love Face ID because it’s pretty seamless when you pick it up and it unlocks automatically. However it’s those time when it’s on the table and you want to unlock it or when you wake up first thing in the morning and the drool on your cheek and squinty eyes causes it too fail.

it’s funny you mention it failing when you wake up. Some people here swear Face ID never fails them. It fails a lot more often that Touch ID.

Reactions: Bethanie21

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Im in the same boat as you OP, got an 8 plus, like it a lot but only want to upgrade to something that has a form of touch id i.e the rumoured 12 max pro. Im holding out even though i can upgrade now to an 11 pro max. With the current crisis i am seriously looking at the iphone 9/se 2 for £399 as i have an ipad air 3 for the big screen stuff anyway. Interestingly enough ipad Air 3 (£450) + iphone 9 would cost me a combined £850 which is a much cheaper combo than a Pro Max phone on its own. Something to consider maybe.

Last edited:

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
So you’re six months from a new phone if it doesn’t get delayed.

You said your battery is doable so if your phone still works and is doable for another six months it’s really up to you. If you can wait it out, only you can make that determination. If you’ve had enough of your battery life not lasting all day and want a phone that easily does, it’s time to upgrade.

The camera is leaps and bounds better and with night mode and will not see major upgrade in 12 like this jump.

Your question, are you gonna miss out on some thing by not waiting half a year. Boils down to 5G is what your going to miss.

Other stuff:

IMO you’ll feel the fluidity from 60 Hz to 120 Hz but it’s not something that really is a game changer.

Camera upgrades will be minimal and any upgrades to night mode is software driven so the 11 Pro will have them.

So IF 4G to 5G is something until you’re ready to upgrade again you’ll miss....then wait half a year.

You’re going own your phone for at least a few years after that and that’s a longer time to wait.

I have the 11 promax and will be upgrading in 2021. I don’t mind waiting a year without 5G because in my area it’s going to be sparse anyway

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
At this point I'd wait. Unless there's some stellar deal to be had on the Pro Max now, I'd wait and see what the 12 series has to offer. At that point, if it isn't what you need in a phone, the 11 Pro Max should see a price break and/or deals depending on where you look. This comes from a 11 Pro Max user, which by the way is my all time favorite iPhone so far, hands down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.