Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Ipad will be here Monday.

I have the original Pro 12.9 LTE. AS you Apple cats know, it didn't have this embedded sim. Now the Gen II model does.

I use the 12.9 LTE Pro Gen I on a T-mo data line (unlimited-included with the TMO-One Plan). I want to use the GEN II Pro on this plan.

I read there is an additional Sim Tray on the 12.9 Pro GenII model (is this true?), so I could just put the TMO sim in there..

BUT...

am I able to use the embedded Apple Sim already in the machine with my already setup TMO plan? OR is there some hoop jumping involved?

Background: Android User. The Pro (Gen I) is my first apple device (the PRO Gen II is my second), so I don't fully understand the Apple ecosystem in regards to this Embedded Sim...

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Ipad will be here Monday.

I have the original Pro 12.9 LTE. AS you Apple cats know, it didn't have this embedded sim. Now the Gen II model does.

I use the 12.9 LTE Pro Gen I on a T-mo data line (unlimited-included with the TMO-One Plan). I want to use the GEN II Pro on this plan.

I read there is an additional Sim Tray on the 12.9 Pro GenII model (is this true?), so I could just put the TMO sim in there..

BUT...

am I able to use the embedded Apple Sim already in the machine with my already setup TMO plan? OR is there some hoop jumping involved?

Background: Android User. The Pro (Gen I) is my first apple device (the PRO Gen II is my second), so I don't fully understand the Apple ecosystem in regards to this Embedded Sim...

You should be able to just use the embedded SIM in your new iPad. I previously had the 9.7" iPad Pro with the embedded SIM, at the time of purchase I was on TMO. I simply had to call TMO and they went through the setup with me and got it up and running in no time.

No additional SIM required until I switched to Verizon and then had to add a Verizon SIM.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
This is all we get in Canada with the embedded SIM. I've never even heard of these "carriers" and they're certainly not mainstream here. Totally uselesss. :mad:

IMG_0048.jpg

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
This is all we get in Canada with the embedded SIM. I've never even heard of these "carriers" and they're certainly not mainstream here. Totally uselesss. :mad:

View attachment 706981

Pop out the carrier and add a SIM card for your carrier of choice. You should then be able to set up a new plan or add your iPad to an existing one.

In my case I just added the Verizon SIM and added it to my existing Verizon account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.