Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
Hi folks,

I received my iPP 12.9" this week and it's all good with a single exception: slow battery charging.

Last night I had it plugged in to my display's USB3 hub and put on Netflix and it was using the juice faster than it could take it, resulting in the battery draining while it was charging.

Is this normal for this device? Any ideas how I could improve charging?

Cheers,
Rab

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Unfortunately it's normal, it's a beast of a battery and the included charger is somewhat underpowered for it.

The only way to improve it is to use the Apple 29W charger (comes with the new MacBook or can be purchased separately) and the recently released USB-C to Lightning cable. Total cost of these two items is £64, if you're in the UK of course.

Reactions: Cascades42

cpt2hearts

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
I bought both the above items. For a quick charge they are great. The 'included' one I just use for overnight charging. One upstairs, one downstairs. And yes.....they should of included the quicker one with the device but then they wouldn't get my extra cash!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi folks,

I received my iPP 12.9" this week and it's all good with a single exception: slow battery charging.

Last night I had it plugged in to my display's USB3 hub and put on Netflix and it was using the juice faster than it could take it, resulting in the battery draining while it was charging.

Is this normal for this device? Any ideas how I could improve charging?

Cheers,
Rab

The other are right. The USB out of your display will not input enough to even keep up. The 12 watt included charger is not going to either if it is a CPU intensive. You can buy the larger charger and adapter or do like I do and just charge it overnight.

Reactions: friedmud

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I've been using a Tartentech mains charger on my 12.9" today and it pretty much kept it charged at 81% while I was using it and snuck up to 90ish in the periods my attention was elsewhere.

I had ordered a 29w charger and a USB Cable from Apple, but I'm going to cancel and stick with the Tartentech.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
One of the few cases where I have to take off my Apple fanboy hat and call bs On Apple for not including a charger better suited for the Pro. 5 and a half hours for a full charge? That's nowhere even close to being reasonable.

Does it affect me? No. I charge overnight. Is it still a bunch of crap just for the fact of the matter? Hell yes

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
One of the few cases where I have to take off my Apple fanboy hat and call bs On Apple for not including a charger better suited for the Pro. 5 and a half hours for a full charge? That's nowhere even close to being reasonable.

Does it affect me? No. I charge overnight. Is it still a bunch of crap just for the fact of the matter? Hell yes
Option 1: ship a slower charger but with a cable that everyone can use for syncing.

Option 2: ship a fast charger, incurring more cost that must either be absorbed or passed on to the customer, and leave the customer with a USB-C cable 99.9% of people cannot use for syncing.

Option 3: include both USB-A and USB-C. Too expensive and inelegant.

Option 4: include USB-C and an adapter. Ditto.

They had to do what they did.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I've been using a Tartentech mains charger on my 12.9" today and it pretty much kept it charged at 81% while I was using it and snuck up to 90ish in the periods my attention was elsewhere.

I had ordered a 29w charger and a USB Cable from Apple, but I'm going to cancel and stick with the Tartentech.

The 29W charger will actually charge your iPad Pro while you're using it. And fairly rapidly. Your mains charger is probably charging at 12W, ~40% of the 29W charger.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah: everyone overlooks that if they would have shipped the faster charger that also means they would have shipped a USB-3 cable!

How many threads would we see about how "Apple is screwing me!!" because someone had to buy a USB-2 cable to sync their iPP with their computer.

Not too mention that, since they switched to Lightning, ALL iOS devices have always shipped with Lightning-USB cables. Again, how many (more!) threads would we see about "Apple is screwing me!!!" because someone had 1,000 USB2 cables all over their house that they use for charging and now they have to replace all of those.

I do totally agree that Apple should have come up with _something_ here. I'm just pointing out that it was definitely a "rock and a hard place" type situation.

Complainers will complain. People who are really effected can go out and buy the faster charger... that's my plan.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Option 1: ship a slower charger but with a cable that everyone can use for syncing.

Option 2: ship a fast charger, incurring more cost that must either be absorbed or passed on to the customer, and leave the customer with a USB-C cable 99.9% of people cannot use for syncing.

Option 3: include both USB-A and USB-C. Too expensive and inelegant.

Option 4: include USB-C and an adapter. Ditto.

They had to do what they did.
Or you know. Not ship anything at all until they're ready to ship it right. Apple is famous for not rushing and "waiting to get it right". Shipping an iPad that charges in almost 6 hours? Ouch.

But like I said, not really complaining. I charge mine overnight.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Yeah: everyone overlooks that if they would have shipped the faster charger that also means they would have shipped a USB-3 cable!

How many threads would we see about how "Apple is screwing me!!" because someone had to buy a USB-2 cable to sync their iPP with their computer.

Not too mention that, since they switched to Lightning, ALL iOS devices have always shipped with Lightning-USB cables. Again, how many (more!) threads would we see about "Apple is screwing me!!!" because someone had 1,000 USB2 cables all over their house that they use for charging and now they have to replace all of those.

I do totally agree that Apple should have come up with _something_ here. I'm just pointing out that it was definitely a "rock and a hard place" type situation.

Complainers will complain. People who are really effected can go out and buy the faster charger... that's my plan.

I don't much care either way, I charge overnight. But they could have included a small, inexpensive USB-C to USB adapter with the 29W/USB-C combo in the box. Y'know, if they didn't want to fleece more money from us :D

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
I don't much care either way, I charge overnight. But they could have included a small, inexpensive USB-C to USB adapter with the 29W/USB-C combo in the box. Y'know, if they didn't want to fleece more money from us :D

As far as I'm aware it's not possible to create one of these whilst adhering to USB standards.

I'm fine with my 12W charger, I actually just plug the iPad into my iMac overnight to charge and it's always at 100% in the morning.

Reactions: Beavix

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
As far as I'm aware it's not possible to create one of these whilst adhering to USB standards.

I'm fine with my 12W charger, I actually just plug the iPad into my iMac overnight to charge and it's always at 100% in the morning.

To hell with standards, Vive la révolution :D

Yeah my 12watter does me just fine for now, I'll probably pick up the 29W and cable at some point because they have Apple on them. I mean, because I might need faster charging at some point, yeah that's it :p

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
To hell with standards, Vive la révolution :D

Yeah my 12watter does me just fine for now, I'll probably pick up the 29W and cable at some point because they have Apple on them. I mean, because I might need faster charging at some point, yeah that's it :p

See, I said I wasn't right in the head, well I've implied as much many times :D

I had to order some nail nonsense for the wife. So what happens, I sit there and think, well so long as I'm ordering stuff anyway, might as well buy the charger :rolleyes:

Ah well, it'll come in handy when I'm draining my battery like there's no tomorrow debugging my apps. Besides I've all the patience of a, emmmm, impatient thing.

Reactions: friedmud

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California

it effects me when i kill my pro battery in 4 hrs. i just picked up a external battery for my pro. problem solved. i decided not to buy the apple charger "upgrade" i felt it was a poor decision for them to gimp the charging on a device marketed to professionals.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
it effects me when i kill my pro battery in 4 hrs. i just picked up a external battery for my pro. problem solved. i decided not to buy the apple charger "upgrade" i felt it was a poor decision for them to gimp the charging on a device marketed to professionals.
How do you kill yours in 4 hours?! Takes me all day to run mine down

Reactions: RevTEG

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
While the charging is super slow, it only becomes an issue when watching video. As has been said already, if you are watching full screen video, then even when you are plugged in you will lose power at a very slow pace.

I did some testing, and when plugged in and browsing the web, it continues to gain charge but at a very slow pace. And when in split screen with Safari on one side and YouTube on the other side, and browsing the web while watching YouTube, it stays about even while plugged in (no gain or loss of charge). I attribute this to the fact that the YouTube video is taking up only a small portion of the screen in this configuration.

So in the end, as I don't spend a huge portion of my time watching video, I have decided that for now I can live with the 12W charger. If you watch a lot of video, you will definitely want the fast charger.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Reactions: Capt T and RevTEG

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
The 29W charger will actually charge your iPad Pro while you're using it. And fairly rapidly. Your mains charger is probably charging at 12W, ~40% of the 29W charger.
The Tartentech one at very least keeps the charge level from dropping while in use and will charge when I stop using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.