Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I feel the tilt on the 12.9 Smart Keyboard is too far back for best viewing angle. Think it needs to come forward 1-2cm at least. Considering making some sort of wedge but would want to fix it to the case in a non-destructive way.

Anyone thought the same or made a mod already?

Ive got my 12.9” 2017 in a Apple silicon back case (with stamped out hole for the larger camera) and this lifts it slightly but I need more. Would love a Surface Pro hinge mod that I could stick on back of ipad, that would be the nuts. While I’m in dream land a backlit keyboard and trackpad as well please!

Last edited:

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
You can easily adjust this by sticking something to the top part of the stand where the iPad rests on.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
You can easily adjust this by sticking something to the top part of the stand where the iPad rests on.

This was my plan but I'm thinking of a more permanent mod rather than carry an extra object or just wedging something random behind it everytime. Anything I would stick on would have to not damage the keyboard cover so was kind of fishing for ideas.

Volgin

Suspended
Jul 17, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I feel the tilt on the 12.9 Smart Keyboard is too far back for best viewing angle. Think it needs to come forward 1-2cm at least. Considering making some sort of wedge but would want to fix it to the case in a non-destructive way.

Ive got my 12.9” 2017 in a Apple silicon back case (with stamped out hole for the larger camera) and this lifts it slightly but I need more. Would love a Surface Pro hinge mod that I could stick on back of ipad, that would be the nuts. While I’m in dream land a backlit keyboard and trackpad as well please!
I cut a wedge shaped piece of foam to alter the angle on mine.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

I used to think the Surface Pro kickstand was kind of silly and a gimmick until I'm not using one, and would love to see this come to the iPad. It is a very, very functional part of the experience. I think it would be hard for it to be an add-on to the iPad because there is no way for it to "tuck in" when not being used.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I used to think the Surface Pro kickstand was kind of silly and a gimmick until I'm not using one, and would love to see this come to the iPad. It is a very, very functional part of the experience. I think it would be hard for it to be an add-on to the iPad because there is no way for it to "tuck in" when not being used.
When I first the word "kickstand", i thought this would be another tacky MS idea. But five years later it has proven to be totally awesome. Alcantara? Looming disaster.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
When I first the word "kickstand", i thought this would be another tacky MS idea. But five years later it has proven to be totally awesome. Alcantara? Looming disaster.

Not sure I agree on the Alcantara. This is not a new thing for them, as they had keyboards already that used it. I have had plenty of wear on my normal keyboards that was very visibly noticeable, so not sure this is any different. I do like the feel of it when using it, and it is very easy to hang on to.

Imagine if Apple starting using a coating on their products that was picked for usability instead of trying to make a museum quality surface to please Jony-boy. How wonderful it would be to have an iPhone that has an exterior shell made of something that was easy to hold onto, and didn't immediately become disfigured if you dropped it a small distance. Maybe Alcantara? I don't know, but making something that results in 95% of buyers putting it into a protective case is a total fail on the part of Apple.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany

You can just stick your pencil in between. IMG_9068.JPG

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey

Keep this in mind though.... If you were to have a kickstand on the back of the iPad, then using a case on the iPad would cover that up and it would not be usable.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Keep this in mind though.... If you were to have a kickstand on the back of the iPad, then using a case on the iPad would cover that up and it would not be usable.

Yes of course. But not all companies design products that you have to put in a case to safely use it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.