Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drbrodix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
Hey Forum,
I've recently started considering buying a 2017 12" Macbook as a comfortable, portable device besides my desktop PC. The main thing that keeps me concerned (besides the price tag but let's just put that aside for now) is the overheating due to the computer's lack of fans. So how is the 12" Macbook's heating? I've read quite a few opinions that complain about how dangerously hot it gets sometimes and even emergency shuts down, while others praised it as it rarely even gets warm even without fans. Can 12" Macbook owners please share some opinions? The most demanding use of the computer would be probably some light XCoding (light, since it's a new interest, I would just start learning iOS development), otherwise I would just do browsing and writing. I would be thankful for any help!

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
At least with the 2017 models, heat does not seem to cause nearly as significant thermal throttling as some review sites have suggested, and the 2017 models seem to make a reasonably significant gain in terms of thermal efficiency over models they replaced.

Obviously, the MacBook is the weakest of Apple options for sustained, intense processing, but it was never designed for this purpose (everything about it is a tradeoff for portability at its most extreme level.) To my knowledge, the system shutting down randomly due to temperature is somewhat of a rarity, and this may suggest that something is wrong with the individual machine (since the CPUs will reduce performance in order to lower temperatures, as shown in the above link, where performance does decrease some over a period of sustained, heavy CPU usage.)

For light usage, the CPU remains cool. My temp right now with this, MS Word, Outlook, Excel, Mail, Messages, PDF Expert, and Paintbrush is around 121 degrees F. If I am in a Word document and doing nothing else, the CPU generally rests around 100 F. Even when running VMs, while the system gets warm, it never becomes uncomfortable to the touch or uncomfortable to place in the lap.

drbrodix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
At least with the 2017 models, heat does not seem to cause nearly as significant thermal throttling as some review sites have suggested, and the 2017 models seem to make a reasonably significant gain in terms of thermal efficiency over models they replaced.

Obviously, the MacBook is the weakest of Apple options for sustained, intense processing, but it was never designed for this purpose (everything about it is a tradeoff for portability at its most extreme level.) To my knowledge, the system shutting down randomly due to temperature is somewhat of a rarity, and this may suggest that something is wrong with the individual machine (since the CPUs will reduce performance in order to lower temperatures, as shown in the above link, where performance does decrease some over a period of sustained, heavy CPU usage.)

For light usage, the CPU remains cool. My temp right now with this, MS Word, Outlook, Excel, Mail, Messages, PDF Expert, and Paintbrush is around 121 degrees F. If I am in a Word document and doing nothing else, the CPU generally rests around 100 F. Even when running VMs, while the system gets warm, it never becomes uncomfortable to the touch or uncomfortable to place in the lap.

Sounds awesome! These temperatures under such usage appear quite nice. Thanks for your reply!

Lapine Rider

macrumors member
May 15, 2010
Hey Forum,
I've recently started considering buying a 2017 12" Macbook as a comfortable, portable device besides my desktop PC. The main thing that keeps me concerned (besides the price tag but let's just put that aside for now) is the overheating due to the computer's lack of fans. So how is the 12" Macbook's heating? I've read quite a few opinions that complain about how dangerously hot it gets sometimes and even emergency shuts down, while others praised it as it rarely even gets warm even without fans. Can 12" Macbook owners please share some opinions? The most demanding use of the computer would be probably some light XCoding (light, since it's a new interest, I would just start learning iOS development), otherwise I would just do browsing and writing. I would be thankful for any help!

I mostly word-process and never do stuff like video-editing. That said... I've never formally checked the temp in many hundreds of hours of usage, because my machine never felt even slightly warm to the touch. My guess is that the entire aluminum case serves as a huge heat sink. If so, it seems to work quite well. I own an early model with the mid-level processor.

I love mine. Wish it had at least one more USB-C, and I had the keyboard fail out of warranty. (I hear the later models are better in this regard.) Otherwise, the thing is darned near perfect. It's the only Apple product I own today that I still truly treasure and admire for its elegance and design-perfection.

Reactions: drbrodix

drbrodix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
I mostly word-process and never do stuff like video-editing. That said... I've never formally checked the temp in many hundreds of hours of usage, because my machine never felt even slightly warm to the touch. My guess is that the entire aluminum case serves as a huge heat sink. If so, it seems to work quite well. I own an early model with the mid-level processor.

I love mine. Wish it had at least one more USB-C, and I had the keyboard fail out of warranty. (I hear the later models are better in this regard.) Otherwise, the thing is darned near perfect. It's the only Apple product I own today that I still truly treasure and admire for its elegance and design-perfection.

Thanks mate, appreciate your reaction! I'm starting to feel like I don't need to worry about temperature problems in case of the 2017 model.

Reactions: Retrostarscream

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Whist I cannot say for the 2017 models but my wife's rMB will overheat on a prolonged skype call unless it's sitting on a hard surface

The Ali shell if your lucky will only contribute to 15-20% to heat dissipation and is really only a secondary consideration as it can equally add as it subtracts

The heat dissipation plate in the rMB is above the CPU and directs heat to the side and not on the bottom. Most of the heat from the underside is likely from the batteries

Whilst not excessively hot my wife finds it is uncomfortable on bare skin and it's how we found the problem with skype calls as she placed the rMB on a pillow on her lap, she now uses a magazine or a table

YMMV but the heat generated may not just be due to task CPU intensive activities high use of batteries or graphics or SSD may equally contribute to the overall impact

WinkWink726

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Pittsburgh Area, PA
Okay, so I just got my new MacBook (which is why I decided to rejoin the forum after a several year hiatus, lol). I've been doing some internet putzing, word processing, etc, all while listening to music via bluetooth earbuds, and it never got any warmer than any other fan-having laptop that I've ever owned.
This thing has been surprisingly cool under pressure. ;)

Edited to add that mine is a 2017 model ;)

Reactions: Retrostarscream

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Okay, so I just got my new MacBook (which is why I decided to rejoin the forum after a several year hiatus, lol). I've been doing some internet putzing, word processing, etc, all while listening to music via bluetooth earbuds, and it never got any warmer than any other fan-having laptop that I've ever owned.
This thing has been surprisingly cool under pressure. ;)

Edited to add that mine is a 2017 model ;)
Nice Enjoy :)

Reactions: WinkWink726

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I have the 2015 and 2017 model, the low end ones. The 2017 certainly manages heat so much better than its predecessor. Most of the time, cool to touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: EugW

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
What is the CPU temperature app that I see sitting in some peoples' toolbar?

I sold my 2016 MB, and have a 2017 en route. On rare occasion, I'll do some video editing that I expect will slow down the '17 (it did on my '16). I was thinking about buying a cooling pillow/mat for occasional use when I see CPU temps start to creep up.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Hey Forum,

My 2016 used to give me temperature warnings when on video calls (Skype, Slack or Hangouts) - on a couple of occasions this caused the Mac to become unresponsive, presumably due to the severe throttling. It struggled outputting to a USB-C 4K monitor (big performance dip) and Xcode quickly became sluggish. For all other purposes, though, it was great. Perfect for travel.

If portability is your absolute top priority, then the 12" MacBook is the best Mac (arguably best laptop) available. If portability is not your primary concern, the 13" or 15" MacBook Pro options offer better performance - far better in some cases.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
My 2016 used to give me temperature warnings when on video calls (Skype, Slack or Hangouts) - on a couple of occasions this caused the Mac to become unresponsive, presumably due to the severe throttling. It struggled outputting to a USB-C 4K monitor (big performance dip) and Xcode quickly became sluggish. For all other purposes, though, it was great. Perfect for travel.

If portability is your absolute top priority, then the 12" MacBook is the best Mac (arguably best laptop) available. If portability is not your primary concern, the 13" or 15" MacBook Pro options offer better performance - far better in some cases.

I'm crossing fingers that the '17 is an improvement in this area, over my '16!

I also have a 2016 nTB MBP, which I used daily for work. It's hard to make it throttle, but it's just so damn bulky compared to a rMB! Big difference on your lap, or even moving around one-handed. For using primarily on a desk or via dock, yes MacBook Pro all day long. If you're going to be using it mostly sitting on the couch or airplane/train, 12" MB is a real winner.

Reactions: andy9l

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I have the 2017 MB. It’s a stunningly beautiful thing. And so small and light you can’t really believe there’s anything inside it.

When I first got it and was setting it up I noticed it throttling its speed. But to be fair, it was very busy downloading vast amounts of stuff while I was making it load webpages and whatnot.

Since then no problem. I’ve never noticed it being either warm or slow. But I don’t ask much from it. Microsoft Excel, Safari and iTunes simultaneously is about as hard as I work it. I wear jeans and have it directly on my lap and I don’t notice anything.

I’ve always wondered whether it really flies when it’s very cold, e.g. after leaving it in a cold room overnight.

Don’t forget that Apple is great with returns. If you buy it direct you’ve nothing to lose.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I sold my 2016 MB, and have a 2017 en route. On rare occasion, I'll do some video editing that I expect will slow down the '17 (it did on my '16). I was thinking about buying a cooling pillow/mat for occasional use when I see CPU temps start to creep up.

This thread shows that the throttling due to sustained load is only about 10%. A cooling mat is not likely to prevent it altogether so I think you would hardly notice the benefit.

OTOH maybe some activity loads the MB up more than Cinebench.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
This thread shows that the throttling due to sustained load is only about 10%. A cooling mat is not likely to prevent it altogether so I think you would hardly notice the benefit.

OTOH maybe some activity loads the MB up more than Cinebench.

Yes, it's that particular thread that inspired me to look for some passive cooling solution. Like something I'd keep in the freezer and pull out if I'm going to do any sustained video editing.

I'm also looking for a simple app that displays CPU/GPU temp in the Menubar. I tried iStat, but that seemed like overkill, and in fact just installing the program really ramped up the fans/temps on my '16 nTB MBP. I had to uninstall!

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
What is the CPU temperature app that I see sitting in some peoples' toolbar?

iStat
I'm also looking for a simple app that displays CPU/GPU temp in the Menubar. I tried iStat, but that seemed like overkill, and in fact just installing the program really ramped up the fans/temps on my '16 nTB MBP. I had to uninstall!

Yes iStat Menus can show some bursts of CPU if you look in Activity Monitor, but it settles down quickly. It is so far ahead of anything else (IMO) I stick with it. Never noticed the fans ramping up on my MacBook :);).

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Yes iStat Menus can show some bursts of CPU if you look in Activity Monitor, but it settles down quickly. It is so far ahead of anything else (IMO) I stick with it. Never noticed the fans ramping up on my MacBook :);).

My fans ramped up and became annoyingly loud for at least 15 minutes.

Attachments

• fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 305

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Surprising...are you sure it was iStat causing that? I cant help thinking that if that was typical behaviour it wouldn't be such a popular app.

Understood, which is why I bought it without even trying it.

Yep, definitely iStat. The fans went crazy as soon as I installed it. As soon as I uninstalled, everything went back to normal/very quiet.

Reactions: DatTruong
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.