Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Canon have been teasing us with this 120MP APS-H sized sensor for a couple of years now through the odd mention of it along the way of its development.

Don't know how soon it will be making its way into photographic kit of theirs, it seems to be geared towards crowd surveillance and the like initially, and it will be guaranteed to cost an arm and a leg!

The 120MXS is an ultra-high resolution CMOS sensor with 13280 x 9184 effective pixels(approx. 60x the resolution of Full HD). It has a size equivalent to APS-H (29.22mm x 20.20mm), and a square pixel arrangement of 2.2µm x 2.2µm with 122 million effective pixels. Ultra-high-resolution is made possible by parallel signal processing, which reads signals at high speed from multiple pixels. All pixel progressive reading of 9.4fps is made possible by 28 digital signal output channels. It is available in RGB or with twice the sensitivity, in monochrome

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Saw stuff about this a while ago, certainly interesting. I wonder just how high the MP count will become in consumer grade cameras, given 16MP is enough for most prints. I guess cropping can come into play too.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Saw stuff about this a while ago, certainly interesting. I wonder just how high the MP count will become in consumer grade cameras, given 16MP is enough for most prints. I guess cropping can come into play too.

Yes, a bit like the development of digital audio formats where lots of effort went into hi-def formats but had lost sight of what most consumers wanted; small audio files that fit easily into mobile players (now streaming). There comes a level of 'quality' in most things where good-enough is actually good-enough.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
What's the lens they're using on that? would seem to require something a bit special.
According to the brief article over at PetaPixel:
https://petapixel.com/2018/03/29/this-is-the-power-of-canons-120mp-camera-sensor/

They claim it's the sensor and not the glass, and from further reading about it elsewhere, it appears that this thing is not your ordinary Bayer sensor, it's apparently new from the ground up.

“Ultra-high-resolution is made possible by parallel signal processing, which reads signals at high speed from multiple pixels,” Canon says. “All pixel progressive reading of 9.4fps is made possible by 28 digital signal output channels. It is available in RGB or with twice the sensitivity, in monochrome.”
You can shoot some ordinary footage with an ordinary lens and then reveal an extraordinary amount of detail simply by digitally zooming into the frame

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.