Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmscss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
Hi There,

I foolishly installed 13.5 thinking it was the critical security update from a few weeks back but upon restart, I got an extensions error.

system-extension-error-1.jpg

'Open System Settings' or restarting did nothing so after a 40min call with Apple, we finally found the subtle text which allows you to rebuild extensions but now I can't burn BluRay data discs - it's been bullet-proof for years. System deets below.

burn-blue-ray-3.jpg

Has anyone else seen this or know how to fix?

Was going to nuke it with an erase and install back to 13.4.1 but just thought I should check to see what others thought.

Also, I need the point version of 13.4.1 but could only find Terminal commands - is this the best way? I assume it downloads the installer to /Applications

Code:
$ softwareupdate --list-full-installers

Finding available software
Software Update found the following full installers:
* Title: macOS Ventura, Version: 13.5, Size: 11654590KiB, Build: 22G74, Deferred: NO
* Title: macOS Ventura, Version: 13.4.1, Size: 11513284KiB, Build: 22F82, Deferred: NO
* Title: macOS Ventura, Version: 13.4, Size: 11511926KiB, Build: 22F66, Deferred: NO
* Title: macOS Ventura, Version: 13.3, Size: 11500012KiB, Build: 22E252, Deferred: NO

$ softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.4.1

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated. Cheers, Ben

System Specs
  • M2 Macbook Pro
  • MacOS 13.5
  • Asus BW-16D1H-U PRO BluRay Drive –> Apple USB-C to USB-A Adapter
  • Verbatim BD-R SL 16x 25GB
  • Data burning from internal MacBook SSD
  • Have also tried 16x, 12x and 10x - but never had an issue with 16x until now

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I think you should try to troubleshoot it.
What software are you using to burn BluRay data discs?
What extension is needed for that? Check what extensions are installed in System Information – Software – Extensions, sort by “Obtained from” to easily spot the ones that are not from Apple.

Check System Settings – Privacy & Security - Full Disk Access, the app you use might need Full Disk Access to work.

If you want to install a previous version of Ventura, you can find all the installers linked here.
https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-ventura-13-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/
The InstallAssistant.pkg installs “Install macOS Ventura.app” in /Applications
Create a bootable installer for macOS https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Reactions: cmscss

cmscss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
@bogdanw thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

What software are you using to burn BluRay data discs?

I use the MacOS built-in burn feature, I previously used Toast but gave-up a few years ago.

The Caldigit TB dock and Focusrite audio interface extensions broke after the 13.5 update. The reason I thought it was related to the BluRay burner was because it was connected to the dock.

But when it stopped working, I connected it directly to the MacBook. So maybe the burner and extensions issues aren't related and this is some sort of 13.5 BluRay incompatibility? Maybe it's a bad batch of Verbatim discs? Not sure.

Do you see anything else I could troubleshoot before I go the nuclear route?

And thanks for the installer links and handy extensions sorting tip.

Cheers, Ben

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Take a look here https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-usb-drives-and-burner.2393973/post-32276488
But upon attaching one of the drives in question I noticed the quickest "flash" of the "Allow accessory to connect?" window... it was an incredibly brief flash of said window before it closed itself down.
I proceeded to open up "System Settings > Privacy & Security" and set "Allow accessories to connect" to "Always" (they're mine, I can trust them) and...Boom! The devices now connect, no issues, no nothing.

Reactions: cmscss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.