Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Like many, I have been reflecting on what size would be best for my use case. Having tried both the 11 and 13 with their respective Magic Keyboards, here is my personal point-of-view. I want a portable computing device that I can travel with, without compromising on my use cases (below).

Why iPad
  • Portable: the iPad is so easy to take with you. The combined weight of the iPad with the Magic Keyboard is as light, or lighter than a MacBook Air. Both sizes are equally as portable in my opinion, with the exception of the 11” being able to fit into the smallest sized bags.
  • Versatile: use the iPad with or without a keyboard. The Apple Pencil and rear-facing camera module unlock use cases that a Mac cannot fulfill.
  • Complimentary: the iPad is a strong standalone experience, but also adds incredible value to a Mac—either a laptop or a desktop.
My use cases (in priority order)
  • Photo editing. The 13” is incredible for this, you get so much canvas space to use to see your photos in all their glory and as many tools as possible.
    • Brushing and retouching with the pencil is a huge benefit over macOS, it’s very accurate and enjoyable.
    • Viewing photos is incredible—larger than standard size prints. This is great for sharing with friends and family.
    • I will use the iPad to do high quality photo work while traveling, but will likely rely on my 14” MBP to manage
  • Productivity. I want to be able to web browse, write email/iMessage, bank, etc. on the go. The aspect ratio and screen size of the 13” unlock a few key benefits that make it way more productive than the 11”.
    • Split-view and stage manager are much more usable. You get a lot more content overall.
    • The 13” keyboard and trackpad are not cramped. This and the palm wrests make the experience much better than the 11” overall. Both keyboards are just OK on the lap, which to me, is not a deal breaker by any means (table top rocks, on-screen keyboard options are great in tablet mode).
    • Most web pages render in their desktop design, which is much preferred.
    • The on-screen keyboard has a number row. This seems insignificant, but it’s these little things that add up.
  • Media & entertainment. Video is bigger and better on the 13”, but does have aggressive letterboxing.
    • The main benefit in my opinion is having video playing in PiP—with all this screen size, it’s much easier to be productive while watching a video.
    • I won’t personally be using iPad to watch movies, except for on the rare occasion (TV is in use, traveling, or on a flight).
Hopefully this can help anyone on the fence decide on what may be best for them!

Reactions: GMShadow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.