Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markgixxer750

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
The desert
Hi, looking for some advice. A friend of mine has asked me to take a look at his MBP which is booting up to a black screen.

I've made some observations.
1. The computer is booting up to the password screen, verified by connecting to external display.
2. The screen is not dim it is black (off) verified by shining torch through apple logo/into screen etc.
3. The Apple logo is not lit.
4. It is running on iOS 10.9.5(see attached)
5. I have reset SMC and NVRAM several times.
6. I have checked and repaired permissions and verified the boot disk.
7. The LCD panel does not appear as a display in the system report(see attached)
8. Occasionally when connected to the external display that too blacks out for a second and then comes back on...my external display flashes up its nothing connected message when that happens. It lasts less than a second and comes back on with no intervention from me.
9. I've checked the LVDS cable on the motherboard end and it looks ok. I've not pulled the screen apart yet, hoping I won't have to.....

10. If I leave it off overnight and then reboot the screen shows the grey apple logo and the spinning loading wheel(apple logo on back lit) then after a few seconds the spinning loading wheel freezes and the screen either dies or it just hangs. Subsequent attempts to reboot are complete black screen but when connected to external display show that it boots successfully to the password screen.

So any thoughts on what the issue may be?

Thanks
IMG_9988.JPG IMG_9990.JPG

markgixxer750

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
The desert
Bizarrely I think it might have fixed itself. I had it connected to the external display and had booted it up and logged in, then left it for an hour or two so it had went to sleep. Then when I woke it up the screen illuminated! I've rebooted it a bunch of times now and it looks to be working.

Reactions: Audit13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.