Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustUs35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
My nephew is starting college (He will be a drama/music major) and looking for a laptop. This weekend he's looking to purchase the 2019 13", 1.4 GHz, 256GB SSD with the education discount. He also intends to purchase the Pro apps bundle.
How would this computer perform using Final Cut Pro X, or Logic Pro X? I suggested to bump up to the 2.4 or even to the base 15". but Money is very tight and there is still AppleCare, external back-up disk etc to add to the cost. Time is short so Don't think he would wants any BTO to add more ram. So.... it will be a single visit to the apple store and done. Any thoughts? will the 13" be so "slow" that it would feel very frustrating thinking a mistake was made?
Thanks in advance for any replies

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It will work.

Let's assume that the specs are on the skinny side (though I don't know what he's doing specifically). It will still work, but it will work slightly slower. If he was getting paid by the hour and could correlate the investment in the MacBook Pro against an hourly bill it's a different story. If he's a student it probably doesn't matter a great deal whether a particular task completes in 30 seconds or 45 seconds. It's not like it won't be able to do the tasks, it just won't do them as quickly as a higher spec unit.

I think you're going down the right path by skimping on the the upgrade but ensuring you have a backup strategy etc.

Reactions: mick2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.