Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
Karachi
I updated the macOs to Catalina 10.15.4 for the first time since i got my MacBook(pro, 13 inch, mid 2017 non Touch Bar).

Since the update, around 25 days ago, I've noticed that the battery is draining really fast. It used to give me around 6 to 8 hours of back. This is now reduced to ~4 hours. Previously 100% to 90% drop happened in around 1 hour. Now it drops to 90% in 20 minutes(measure using activity monitor). Even the activity monitor shows 3-4 hours remaining on 100% battery.

Then today, it shut down automatically on 63% battery. When i turned it on again, it showed a red empty battery icon along with a charging icon. Then when i turned it on again after connecting to power, it turned on exactly as it was when it shutdown, and had the same 63% battery level.

Since the update I've also noticed the apps are launching a little late. Lagging is also quite noticeable(and annoying) in day to day use.

Then apple released 10.15.5 and I thought updating to it might make it better. But that made it worse. Other than the issues I was already facing, now my battery percentage keeps jumping and it frequently auto shutdowns(even with battery health management disabled).

For example just right now it jumped directly from 75 80 percent to 34 percent. I checked activity monitor and it was showing 6 hours 40 minutes remaining battery time. But then after few minutes it auto shut down due to low battery. When I connected it to power and turned it on again, it showed 75% battery.

The battery health condition and timings were good before. Now when I checked just before posting, it says 'Service Recommended'. Even though these issue are only recent and the battery cycle count is 184.

Is it possible it's showing me 'Service Recommended' due to some software bug and not because my battery is faulty?
If I revert the macOs back to High Sierra, could all of these issues be resolved?

I've tried SMC reset.

P.S: We don't have apple stores where I live so I cant take it to an Apple genius.

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What is the battery's current capacity under system report? Is it the same when checking with the Coconut Flavor app?

Tried SMC reset?

Lagging may be due to the depleted battery which causes a throttling of the CPU.

Enferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
Karachi
What is the battery's current capacity under system report? Is it the same when checking with the Coconut Flavor app?

Tried SMC reset?

Lagging may be due to the depleted battery which causes a throttling of the CPU.

Yes I've tried SMC reset, forgot to mention.
Yes, the battery current capacity is same in the systems report and coconut app. What does this mean?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes I've tried SMC reset, forgot to mention.
Yes, the battery current capacity is same in the systems report and coconut app. What does this mean?
What's the battery full charge capacity? Battery life is a combination of charge cycles and age.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 10.41.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 10.41.59 AM.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 134

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The battery included with the MacBook is a 54.5 WH (Watt hour) unit. Assuming it operates at 12 volts, the maximum capacity would be 4541 mAh. This puts the battery at just below 80% which means it is probably time for replacement.

What does Coconut Flavor say for the battery?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 11.05.45 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 11.05.45 AM.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: Enferno

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is it possible it's showing me 'Service Recommended' due to some software bug and not because my battery is faulty?
If I revert the macOs back to High Sierra, could all of these issues be resolved?

I've tried SMC reset.

P.S: We don't have apple stores where I live so I cant take it to an Apple genius.
That sounds like a battery which needs replacement. Do you happen to be having any keyboard issues? If so, Apple, or an authorized service provider, will replace the keyboard, which will also get you a new battery, for free.

Enferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
Karachi
The battery included with the MacBook is a 54.5 WH (Watt hour) unit. Assuming it operates at 12 volts, the maximum capacity would be 4541 mAh. This puts the battery at just below 80% which means it is probably time for replacement.

What does Coconut Flavor say for the battery?

But shouldn't the battery's capacity decrease gradually? It was consistently giving me good battery backup. And also instantly after the update, the battery timings decrease by 50%

That sounds like a battery which needs replacement. Do you happen to be having any keyboard issues? If so, Apple, or an authorized service provider, will replace the keyboard, which will also get you a new battery, for free.

I had keyboard issues(sticky keys) but they disappeared automatically. Would it still be eligible for replacement?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
But shouldn't the battery's capacity decrease gradually? It was consistently giving me good battery backup. And also instantly after the update, the battery timings decrease by 50%

I had keyboard issues(sticky keys) but they disappeared automatically. Plus, I checked and my Macbook wasn't eligible for free keyboard replacement. Or is every Macbook eligible?
Every MacBook Pro from 2016-2019 except the 2019 16” model qualifies under the keyboard repair extension, as long as the computer is less than 4 years old.

Batteries don’t always gradually deteriorate. If a cell or portion of cells in the battery fails before the rest of the battery you’ll see the battery lose power abruptly and capacity will be inconsistently reported.

Enferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
Karachi
Every MacBook Pro from 2016-2019 except the 2019 16” model qualifies under the keyboard repair extension, as long as the computer is less than 4 years old.

Batteries don’t always gradually deteriorate. If a cell or portion of cells in the battery fails before the rest of the battery you’ll see the battery lose power abruptly and capacity will be inconsistently reported.

Ok, so mine does fall under the affected ones and is eligible. But I'm not having any issues with my keyboard currently. Can it still be replaced?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ok, so mine does fall under the affected ones and is eligible. But I'm not having any issues with my keyboard currently. Can it still be replaced?
It’s only replaced if you can show problems with it, unfortunately.

Enferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
Karachi
It’s only replaced if you can show problems with it, unfortunately.

Is it possible that the battery capacity is being wrongly reported by the Os? And if i revert it back to the High Sierra version it shipped with, things might get better?
Or my only option is to get the battery replaced?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is it possible that the battery capacity is being wrongly reported by the Os? And if i revert it back to the High Sierra version it shipped with, things might get better?
Or my only option is to get the battery replaced?
It’s very unlikely that it has anything to do with the OS version. You could try it, but the battery behaves exactly like I’d expect a faulty battery to behave.

Reactions: Enferno
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.