Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I got my 13 Pro a two months ago and all was good. It's a great phone and had been loving it, at first. However, I started encountering issues with charging with the lightning port on my 13 Pro, where charging would immediately stop and restart (often in less than a second). I discovered several reddit threads with people explaining the same issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/q53c43
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/q6bhh6
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/rant9h
And I thought, "okay, whatever, maybe this could be software. Let's wait, especially since stock is scarce." I waited from 15.1 all the way up to 15.2, with the same issues. This is what I've tried so far:
  1. Used genuine Apple cable and adapter across several different AC plugs around my house, same issue.
  2. Used another genuine Apple cable and adapter across different ports, same issue.
  3. Tried wiggling around the cable inside the plug to see if I would encounter disconnects, and it doesn't happen all the time but it does happen when the issues begin to appear beforehand. It's really strange. I was also unable to replicate this in-store.
  4. Tried USB-A cable and genuine Apple 5W adapter, same issue.
  5. Tried USB-A cable for data transfer, transfered some files while wiggling the cable in the port, this went fine, no drops or disconnects with data.
I tried measuring with my wall wattage plug to see, electrically, what was going on when this was happening. And sure enough, when the charging indicator changes, charging drops all the way down to 0W before it slowly goes back up.

I tried going to the Apple Store and,
  • Got told it is a software issue because "it doesn't happen all the time." (I don't even want to share my opinion on this statement.)
  • Got told to restore the phone as new and to come back if the issue persists. I have several videos already.
I have AppleCare+. Optimized Battery Charging is turned on and was turned off as well while testing, same issues.

I have not returned yet to the Apple Store. I do not want to wait weeks for a replacement phone. I have also seen on reddit that people who have gotten their replacements have the same issues, which statistically speaking, is just very improbable unless this is a widespread issue.

iPhone 13 Pro Model: MLTX3LL/A

I am creating this thread to determine how common it is. If anyone has encountered this issue, please reply especially if you have proof. Attached is two instances where this has been happening, and you can clearly see the battery indicator changing (screen recording).

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Typically with Lightning ports this type of behaviour is caused by something lodged inside the port. Usually fluff.
Have you ascertained that the inside of the port is completely clean?
Usually I, and others before me, extract the fluff (or whatever else is inside the port) with a pin or needle. (EDIT:This could damage your phone if not done correctly)
A visual inspection is not sufficient.

Last edited:

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Typically with Lightning ports this type of behaviour is caused by something I lodged inside the port. Usually fluff.
Have you ascertained that the inside of the port is completely clean?
Usually I, and others before me, extract the fluff (or whatever else is inside the port) with a pin or needle.
A visual inspection is not sufficient.
Of course. Port is mint. Pins also seem mint. No dust, and I even blew some compressed air just in case to clean everything out.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I’ve deleted my previous post as I realise that although many people (including myself multiple times) have been cleaning the lightning port by physically inserting something (such as a pin, needle or a flat toothpick) to extract the dirt, this is not recommended by Apple as it could irreparably damage the port.

Last edited:

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I’ve deleted my previous post as I realise that although many people (including myself multiple times) have been cleaning the lightning port by physically inserting something (such as a pin, needle or a flat toothpick) to extract the dirt, this is not recommended by Apple as it could irreparably damage the port.
As long as one isn't dumb about it, its fine. You can use an item like that for the port to clean it. But here the phone is brand new... the port is mint.

Reactions: Wando64

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The only way TO extract packed in lint is to use a toothpick carefully. In my experience, blowing compressed air into the port never fixes the bad connection problem.
When lint it packed into the bottom of the port, all the way back, it’s impossible to see with the naked eye and impossible to blow out with air.

You’ve got to get a flashlight aimed just right in the port and peer down inside it with a magnifying glass to verify if it’s clogged or clean.

There’s no reason to expect that every single lightning charge port and charging circuit is perfect out of the factory. They stamp these things out by the hundreds of millions every year. There’s bound to be a few duds. It would be shocking if there wasn’t.

Last edited:

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
The only way TO extract packed in lint is to use a toothpick carefully. In my experience, blowing compressed air into the port never fixes the bad connection problem.
When lint it packed into the bottom of the port, all the way back, it’s impossible to see with the naked eye and impossible to blow out with air.

You’ve got to get a flashlight aimed just right in the port and peer down inside it with a magnifying glass to verify if it’s clogged or clean.

There’s no reason to expect that every single lightning charge port and charging circuit is perfect out of the factory. They stamp these things out by the hundreds of millions every year. There’s bound to be a few duds. It would be shocking if there wasn’t.
As stated, this is completely irrelevant in this case.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
out of curiosity, is the 13 pro lightning port somehow different from the 13 non-pro lightning port, or are 13 pro users more observant about these things or more likely to post online about it?

cdbattags

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2021
New York, NY
Same problem for me on iPhone 13 Pro.

Already replaced the whole back panel (everything but the screen) once through Apple Store repair and same exact flaw persists.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
My friend had the exact same issue from day one on his 13 Pro. Apple replaced it, problem solved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.