Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmik4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Has anyone switched from a 13 pro to a pro max or vice versa (for whatever reason) realized a speed difference between the two? My pro max feels like it was faster loading apps and websites and almost everything felt faster on the Pro max.

Is there a valid way to check besides just feel? And has anyone else experienced this?

(I have both phones still just switched over to the Pro from the Max due to size but have not returned the max yet. I received it 2 days ago so it’s only been 2 days using the Pro)

Thanks!!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Not sure why you see a difference they have the same hardware. If anything, the Pro having a smaller screen should be quicker since it has to power less screen/pixels.. I know there's apps that can measure read/write speeds maybe you should check the App Store for one and see if there's a difference.

Reactions: Jmik4

Jmik4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Not sure why you see a difference they have the same hardware. If anything, the Pro having a smaller screen should be quicker since it has to power less screen/pixels.. I know there's apps that can measure read/write speeds maybe you should check the App Store for one and see if there's a difference.
Yeah I’ll see if there’s anything that can check. And I agree that’s why I’m stumped here because it is very apparent. Maybe it’s because my Pro is still “indexing” not really even sure what that means but is that possible?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Yeah I’ll see if there’s anything that can check. And I agree that’s why I’m stumped here because it is very apparent. Maybe it’s because my Pro is still “indexing” not really even sure what that means but is that possible?
I know the device does some housekeeping after setting up as new, restoring or updating but not sure how long it takes. I'm sure it depends on how much data is involved but it should be fine the next day..

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
They're the same, or the Max/Plus versions have always been slower due to having to drive more pixels. But the Max doesn't have more space than the Pro like the old bigger phones, you see exactly the same stuff, just bigger

Jmik4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Yes that makes sense to me but I’m going from Max to regular sized pro and I’m seeing the pro function slower not just videos but overall opening of apps and scrolling and everything. The max I had first seemed much quicker and smoother. The regular pro isn’t as smooth or quick.
The bigger screen is a little slower to show things. More pixels to pump out.

They're the same, or the Max/Plus versions have always been slower due to having to drive more pixels. But the Max doesn't have more space than the Pro like the old bigger phones, you see exactly the same stuff, just bigger

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Yes that makes sense to me but I’m going from Max to regular sized pro and I’m seeing the pro function slower not just videos but overall opening of apps and scrolling and everything. The max I had first seemed much quicker and smoother. The regular pro isn’t as smooth or quick.
How long has it been since to initially turned on the 13 Pro?

Jmik4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I would think it should have settled out by now. How bad does it appear to be in terms of how slow it seems?
It seems to be about 15-20% slower on the same Wi-Fi both with about 80% battery. Maybe slower isn’t the correct word but it’s more laggy loads pages slower and animations don’t seem as smooth

Jmik4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
They both should be the same. Are you sure its not your perception?
It’s hard to be positive but I’m going to test it out tomorrow more extensively side by side. I still have both with me I have another few days to return the max which I’m set on returning. Just want to make sure my pro isn’t a dud.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
It’s hard to be positive but I’m going to test it out tomorrow more extensively side by side. I still have both with me I have another few days to return the max which I’m set on returning. Just want to make sure my pro isn’t a dud.
I has to be perception. I mean if you returned the Max would the Pro feel slow? Doubtful, but if you are that worried I’m sure you can take it to the Apple Store and they can test it.

Reactions: Jmik4

Jmik4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I has to be perception. I mean if you returned the Max would the Pro feel slow? Doubtful, but if you are that worried I’m sure you can take it to the Apple Store and they can test it.
Yeah it very well may be my perception I’m going to try both together today and just let it be if it’s not VERY apparent that it is lagging in any sort of way.

Thanks for the replies everyone

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
I’ve noticed the same thing having both which why it’s making the decision which to keep tough ! Almost everything seems smoother and faster on the max. Not sure why ? Have 256 for both.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
the Battery life is not great on the pro sadly either
My battery life on the 13 Pro is amazing. I have moderate to heavy usage and end the day around 50%. Much better than my 12 Pro that it replaced.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Yeah it’s better than the 12 pro. Heavy use I have to charge at 3pm
I do not use my phone that much. For me the. 12/13 Pro Max are just too big and heavy. Id rather use my 12.9” iPad. used to do the bigger phones but so glad I changed last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.