Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julie D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Dorset, UK
My husband and I replaced our 6 yr old MacBook Pro's in November 2016 and have BOTH been getting major graphics problems on screen at startup. The screens simply flash with weird graphics.

We have been to Apple shop and had a GeniusBar appointment. We showed them videos of what our laptops are doing and we emailed the videos to them as well. They said that they would escalate the issue to the engineers and that was over 2 weeks ago.
WE HAVE HEARD NOTHING !!!

Having spent over £3,000.00 we are extremely disappointed that Apple are not sorting this out

We changed background picture from one of our own photos to the standard Apple offering, no difference.

HAS ANYONE ANY IDEAS - BECAUSE APPLE HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE WHY TWO MACBOOKPRO'S BOUGHT FROM John Lewis IN NOVEMBER 2016 ARE BEHAVING LIKE THIS? A BAD BATCH MAYBE?

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 16.39.47.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 16.40.08.png

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
It's a known issue sadly, have you updated to latest sierra, 10.12.3? And done a smc and nvram reset?
And don't use scaled resolution, use default.

That should do the trick for you.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It's a software issue, once you log in they'll be normal. @Calby's steps will probably clear it up but I have seen it in 10.12.3 too; may be 10.12.4 before that bug is fully stomped.

Julie D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Dorset, UK
It's a known issue sadly, have you updated to latest sierra, 10.12.3? And done a smc and nvram reset?
And don't use scaled resolution, use default.

That should do the trick for you.

We spent about half an hour on the Apple Support CHAT line last evening, they have raised the issue with 'higher up the food chain' but they did talk us through doing the NVRAM reset operation. We did this on husband's laptop last night and there wasn't an issue this morning - but it didn't happen every day - so this morning I did the NVRAM reset on my laptop too. FINGERS CROSSED this has sorted it. I will keep you posted.....
[doublepost=1486219272][/doublepost]
It's a software issue, once you log in they'll be normal. @Calby's steps will probably clear it up but I have seen it in 10.12.3 too; may be 10.12.4 before that bug is fully stomped.

We spent about half an hour on the Apple Support CHAT line last evening, they have raised the issue with 'higher up the food chain' but they did talk us through doing the NVRAM reset operation. We did this on husband's laptop last night and there wasn't an issue this morning - but it didn't happen every day - so this morning I did the NVRAM reset on my laptop too. FINGERS CROSSED this has sorted it. I will keep you posted.....

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Even if it continues, no need to panic about it. The issue is cosmetic, it'll get fixed in an update.

Reactions: Calby

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
[doublepost=1486219272][/doublepost]

I hear you, but sadly Apple Support are not so good every time as they only have basic training, there T2 advisors aka senior advisors are better but in the chat you did talk to the T1 advisors ("normal").

Try SMC also and make sure that you have updated to latest macOS 10.12.3. You can see that if you click at the Apple in the left corner then About this Mac.

If you don't have 10.12.3 make sure to update it trough Apple Store.

If nothing of this works, I recommend you to make a clean install of macOS 10.12.3 trough a USB drive and also make sure to format your hard drive before the clean install.
If the things above don't work you can just write it in this thread and I'll make a "how-to" for you how to re-install the macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.