Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerhouse7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Canberra, Australia
I own a 14-24mm Nikkor Lens and I'm probably going to sell it 5-10 years down the track. All the reviews of the lens are brilliant and I can certainly testify that the reviews are true. I've heard that this lens, due to it's exceptional quality and performance as well as niche market, will become a "classic"

Is this true? What is the likelihood of this lens going up in value over time (when Nikon stops making the lens)?

Thanks for any help/speculation. =)
:apple:

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
It already is a classic lens.

Why will you sell it at some point in the future? It's odd to give a relatively fixed time for it.

Inflation and the changing yen/dollar ratio is what make the prices go up.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
If Nikon stops making this lens, they will have replaced it with something better, so I don't think you should consider it an appreciating investment. But, it should hold it's value fairly well, depending on condition.

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
I wish I had thought about that arguement for my wife when I bought my 14-24. But then, she's learned to cut through most of my BS anyway.

powerhouse7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Canberra, Australia
Not all lenses are better just because they are newer. Especially niche lenses such as this. There are quite a few lenses that go up in price once Nikon stops making them - Nikon doesn't allways stop production because they've got something better. Take the Nikon 58mm f/1.2 Noct lens as an extreme example. When first released in 1977, you could pick them up for about a grand I think. Now they're around 4 grand for a good one on ebay.
Obviously that's an extreme example, but its not uncommon for good lenses such as this (that have no competition or better lenses) to up in price beyond that of inflation.
Wishful thinking probably. lol.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Lenses like the Nikkor 28mm 1.4 definitely appreciated in price, you can't find it under $3,500 nowadays.

I was given the 14-24mm as a gift from my father (who used to love photography), and man it is a sweet lens!

I do hope the 14-24mm will appreciate in price someday, I think it will make the lens all the more special for me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.