Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ray777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
i am really enjoying my 14" M1 Max 24-Core, 64GB RAM, 2TB ssd MacBook Pro.

However I noticed one thing.

The 96 Watts 'Quick-Charge' power adapter that comes with it, even-though it does indeed charge it to +50% within 30min, it does get rather hor while doing so..

Is it normal for that power brick to get that hot?

Anyone else noticing the same.. or not at all?

Also if so any difference in charging it while using the MacBook?

Am really wonder if I got a faulty overheating adapter and should replace it, ..or if this is normal.

I also looked into a way to turn off Fast-Charging..(that might be the cause) ...but couldn't find anything if that is even possible.

Maybe I should buy the 140Watts adapter for it?

-it could runn cooler when paired with the 14"..?
(Anyone experience with that?)

Ray777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Charger when they are on full wattage is usually hot to the touch. It's fine
I have never noticed it with my older 15", but that didn't have Quick-Charge.

So you're saying it's normal for these Quick-Chargers to run hot when on full wattage?

Could buying the 140Watt adapter for the 14" then make it run 'less hot?

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
I have never noticed it with my older 15", but that didn't have Quick-Charge.

So you're saying it's normal for these Quick-Chargers to run hot when on full wattage?

Could buying the 140Watt adapter for the 14" then make it run 'less hot?
Tbh it's not really a quick charger. It's just that it's fast. That's why they are saying it's quick charging. Quick charging or not. Every charger will heat up when it's being used on fully in terms of the wattage etc.

If you bought the lower wattage one it will heat up as well since it's gonna be using the maximum wattage of the charger. If you use the 140w one tho. It might heat up less since it's not using the full 140w that the charger can provide

Reactions: Ray777

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
i am really enjoying my 14" M1 Max 24-Core, 64GB RAM, 2TB ssd MacBook Pro.

However I noticed one thing.

The 96 Watts 'Quick-Charge' power adapter that comes with it, even-though it does indeed charge it to +50% within 30min, it does get rather hor while doing so..

Is it normal for that power brick to get that hot?

Anyone else noticing the same.. or not at all?

Also if so any difference in charging it while using the MacBook?

Am really wonder if I got a faulty overheating adapter and should replace it, ..or if this is normal.

I also looked into a way to turn off Fast-Charging..(that might be the cause) ...but couldn't find anything if that is even possible.

Maybe I should buy the 140Watts adapter for it?

-it could runn cooler when paired with the 14"..?
(Anyone experience with that?)
Heat generation is normal for charging a battery. If the charger starts to get too hot (based on what macOS thinks is too hot), it will either slow the charging down, or stop it. There have been cases where I have had third-party (not Apple) iPhone chargers shut off, as they got too hot while charging. Really the only way to have it get less hot, is to either make the charger physically larger, or slow the rate of charge. The size will help, as it gives it more room to dissipate the heat, and slower charging spreads the heat out over a longer period of time, allowing it to radiate out in the environment, and not build up in the charger.

Ray777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Heat generation is normal for charging a battery. If the charger starts to get too hot (based on what macOS thinks is too hot), it will either slow the charging down, or stop it. There have been cases where I have had third-party (not Apple) iPhone chargers shut off, as they got too hot while charging. Really the only way to have it get less hot, is to either make the charger physically larger, or slow the rate of charge. The size will help, as it gives it more room to dissipate the heat, and slower charging spreads the heat out over a longer period of time, allowing it to radiate out in the environment, and not build up in the charger.
Hhm yeah that is what I have noticed with my previous MacBook Pro and it's charger.

This one however really gets hot and stays that way untill the charging hits like 80%
And with hot I mean not being able to hold it for like a few seconds..

It's just that I've never experienced this before so I'm a bit sceptic as to if this is normal behavior for this 96 Watt adapter, ..or if I got a faulty one.

I guess with the (older) 96watt adapter being old silicon-based tech , (which seems to get quite hot) ..whilst the 140Watt is the new Gallium Nitride design..
That that might be something as well?

Last edited:

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Hhm yeah that is what I have noticed with my previous MacBook Pro and it's charger.

This one however really gets hot and stays that way untill the charging hits like 80%
And with hot I mean not being able to hold it for like a few seconds..

It's just that I've never experienced this before so I'm a bit sceptic as to if this is normal behavior for this 96 Watt adapter, ..or if I got a faulty one.

I guess with the (older) 96watt adapter being old silicon-based tech , (which seems to get quite hot) ..whilst the 140Watt is the new Gallium Nitride design..
That that might be something as well?
When devices "fast charge," meaning attempt to charge very quickly (like the new MacBook Pros), they will generate more heat than a "normal" charge. If you are concerned, you can try a test, let your MacBook Pro use the battery down to around 85%, and then charge it. Ostensibly at that charge level, the system shouldn't attempt to "fast charge" and will do a "normal" charge, and be noticeably cooler. If while doing a "normal" charge, you feel the charger is still abnormally hot, contact Apple. Another test you could try, would be to use your 96-watt charger to charge something else with it. If it gets too hot charging another device, then there may be something to be concerned about. It is certainly possible that you have a faulty charger, and Apple should replace it for you, free of charge. Good luck!

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a bunch of Magsafe I and II chargers and some got hot and others didn't. It may have been related to size (they come in a variety of sizes). I have not noticed the 140 Watt power brick getting hot and I did touch it to test it out when I used the MacBook Pro the first couple of times.

The heat is just to make it attractive to cats. That's why they named their operating system after cats for many years.

• Haha
Reactions: Ray777 and LinkRS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.