Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveMax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
20210121193755.jpg
3.jpg

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
If it also has charging capability, can you please post a link?
either way, pls post a link. I may add this to my travel bag for use in rental cars.

Update: Found it

Last edited:
Reactions: lexikon318

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
either way, pls post a link. I may add this to my travel bag for use in rental cars.

Update: Found it
No on supporting charging according to Amazon listing. So a duck bill on the mounting unit. Only a single split to latch onto vent rail, with no support with it to stabilize. Wireless charging is only a slight disadvantage. Right now there are not many cars or aftermarket head units that support Bluetooth CarPlay. You still need a direct wire connection from the iPhone to the system. There is one converter (Bluetooth / wifi ) that’s $99.95 but I haven’t scene any reviews of it yet. So for now I still like my Belkin mount. I have scene a few vent and cup holder mounts that take the Apple MagSafe charger as the charge source 9 Ram Mounts and Proclip to name a few ), but again then there is no CarPlay for most vehicles.

SteveMax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
No on supporting charging according to Amazon listing. So a duck bill on the mounting unit. Only a single split to latch onto vent rail, with no support with it to stabilize. Wireless charging is only a slight disadvantage. Right now there are not many cars or aftermarket head units that support Bluetooth CarPlay. You still need a direct wire connection from the iPhone to the system. There is one converter (Bluetooth / wifi ) that’s $99.95 but I haven’t scene any reviews of it yet. So for now I still like my Belkin mount. I have scene a few vent and cup holder mounts that take the Apple MagSafe charger as the charge source 9 Ram Mounts and Proclip to name a few ), but again then there is no CarPlay for most vehicles.
Yes, there are many wireless chargers now. On the contrary, there are fewer single magsafe phone mount. As i know, the common problem among most of magsafe accessories is poor magnetic force due to early rapid development and lack of testing. This will destroy the experience of a car wireless charger or car phone mount. As a carplay user, or cannot tolerate slow wireless charging, returning to a strong magsafe car mount seems to be a good idea.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Yes, there are many wireless chargers now. On the contrary, there are fewer single magsafe phone mount. As i know, the common problem among most of magsafe accessories is poor magnetic force due to early rapid development and lack of testing. This will destroy the experience of a car wireless charger or car phone mount. As a carplay user, or cannot tolerate slow wireless charging, returning to a strong magsafe car mount seems to be a good idea.
I have been using the Belkin vent mount since it became available on Apple (since December), no issues with iPhone 12 Pro Max with leather Apple case, stays on very well. Direct charging from USB CarPlay plug, again no issues, would have like a black cord, but oh well. No issues with vent mount as well rather stable with little to no shaking. Mostly used in landscape mode so I can see car’s display and turn by turn on the iPhone.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Luckily, this unit uses a standard 17mm "garmin" style mounting ball. That means you can literally buy ANY mount. I bought a unit that just holds the magsafe charger. That unit came with a crappy vent mount that I tossed out. I simply attached that to a 17mm ball mount from ProclipUSA in my wife's car. Works great.

At this point I have a drawer full of vent attachments, CD attachments and the kind you tape to the dash from various mounts over the years. Luckily they all work.

Reactions: Davidalan

SteveMax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
Luckily, this unit uses a standard 17mm "garmin" style mounting ball. That means you can literally buy ANY mount. I bought a unit that just holds the magsafe charger. That unit came with a crappy vent mount that I tossed out. I simply attached that to a 17mm ball mount from ProclipUSA in my wife's car. Works great.

At this point I have a drawer full of vent attachments, CD attachments and the kind you tape to the dash from various mounts over the years. Luckily they all work.
2021122056.jpg

Thx for your great idea! I tried it on a retired windshield base, now i get 2 mounts and all work well!

Reactions: lordhamster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.