Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeraFlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
I got my MacBook Pro (14 base) today, however I am noticing that there is a faint yellow or green vertical band (yellow tint area) to the left of the notch, very close to the edge of it. It is extremely faint and hard to notice, hard to take a picture of, yet my eyes are hypersensitive and it is distracting me while reading. I do not want to play display lottery if this is too common - every time I find a uniformity issue all the devices seem to have it. Does anyone else see this?
You almost have to move text around that area to see it. It's all the way down the display as a long band.
It is much easier to notice in the dark.
Thanks for your answers.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Not going to look too closely at mine. The slight pinker right side already bothering me. Like you said: the panel lottery is not worth it.

HeraFlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
Not going to look too closely at mine. The slight pinker right side already bothering me. Like you said: the panel lottery is not worth it.
I see that and am not bothered by it: it doesn't interrupt my reading or anything. I can't seem to ignore the yellow band though now, but it's extremely faint so unless there's a MacBook without the band I may have to refund mine after all.

astorre

Suspended
Nov 4, 2021
Maybe I should try again then, but the others also probably have it... maybe it's just not visible to you?
well by now more people would complain about it, google if you can find more of this topic

also "not visible to you" are you some cyborg human that has hightened spectral sensitivity?? I see same wavelengths as you

EDIT: go to apple store or ask your noncyborg friends if you can take a look at their screen

HeraFlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
well by now more people would complain about it, google if you can find more of this topic

also "not visible to you" are you some cyborg human that has hightened spectral sensitivity?? I see same wavelengths as you

EDIT: go to apple store or ask your noncyborg friends if you can take a look at their screen
No, just a lot of people don't seem to notice issues that I do. I'm overly sensitive to that stuff so it's sometimes hard for me to tell if stuff is a real defect or common and the majority of people just don't see it - no need to be rude.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Had and still do have problems with my 2017 MB“P“. Get it inspected at a store or get into a call with a senior and send them some pics.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
No, just a lot of people don't seem to notice issues that I do. I'm overly sensitive to that stuff so it's sometimes hard for me to tell if stuff is a real defect or common and the majority of people just don't see it - no need to be rude.
I feel you, I really do. Same here. I notice brightness and color uniformity issues on so many displays, it’s hard to use one myself without being bothered thinking about its price tag. All my MBPs and iPhones, ever, had screen issues of varying degrees. Except my first 2 iPod touch‘s and my iPhone 4.
Since then, every 5s, every SE (same panels, yellow upper border), every X and every 11 Pro, including my current. We keep joking that if I was in charge of Apples quality control, they wouldn’t sell anything with a screen.

Reactions: HeraFlight

HeraFlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021

I saw it on a display model too.
I feel you, I really do. Same here. I notice brightness and color uniformity issues on so many displays, it’s hard to use one myself without being bothered thinking about its price tag. All my MBPs and iPhones, ever, had screen issues of varying degrees. Except my first 2 iPod touch‘s and my iPhone 4.
Since then, every 5s, every SE (same panels, yellow upper border), every X and every 11 Pro, including my current. We keep joking that if I was in charge of Apples quality control, they wouldn’t sell anything with a screen.
I am the same DX, I can't seem to keep anything no matter how much I like it the distractions bug me so much, yet I need things and need to pick SOMETHING. lol.

Last edited:

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I saw it on a display model too.

I am the same DX, I can't seem to keep anything no matter how much I like it the distractions bug me so much, yet I need things and need to pick SOMETHING. lol.
It’s really a shame, Apple portraits its software and hardware as highly optimised and refined, yet in reality that’s far from true. I hope that, if anyone, Apple would be the one. But, nope. I mean, I’d still never return to Windows or use Android devices apart from a TV, but I feel really let down by them.

Reactions: HeraFlight

HeraFlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
It’s really a shame, Apple portraits its software and hardware as highly optimised and refined, yet in reality that’s far from true. I hope that, if anyone, Apple would be the one. But, nope. I mean, I’d still never return to Windows or use Android devices apart from a TV, but I feel really let down by them.
Me too honestly, I've found that they aren't great with their screens aside from the mini-led performance on this. But I've also tried other companies and been annoyed with other screen issues. Really companies just suck with their QA and want the customer to deal with it if most don't notice instead of making good improvements

Reactions: Reggaenald

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
it would likely cost so much to hand pick perfect screens. i do remember some older PC manufactures who hand picked stuff but basic laptops were like 6k ish in today's usdollars

HeraFlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
it would likely cost so much to hand pick perfect screens. i do remember some older PC manufactures who hand picked stuff but basic laptops were like 6k ish in today's usd
And I expected a little variation(dark corners, darker parts of screen) but not a whole distracting rainbow of difference in color temperature on such an expensive device. I should at least be able to read on it without seeing anything in the center of the viewing area

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.