Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noorfxs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2021
Need help deciding which new 14” to go with. Either the M1 Pro with 10 core cpu and 16 core gpu with 16gb ram or the base M1 Pro with 8 core cpu and 14 core gpu but with 32gb ram. Any advice? I use photoshop and after effects mainly.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Definitely go with the 10 core with 16gb. Ideally 10 core with 32 gb of course. ;)
But I think the more cores will benefit you more in afx than the ram.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I just had to make this decision. I ended up getting the base cpu and upgrading the ram to 32gb. I mainly work with capture one, resolve, final cut, affinity, etc… I can appreciate the cpu performance bump, but slightly slower speeds are something I can deal with. What I can’t deal with are crashes or freezes due to lack of ram. I had that numerous times in my 2017 imac with 24gb of ram.

While that is what I ordered, I will be keeping my eyes on benchmarks and comparison videos. I may continue to save and if the performance boost is in fact significant enough, I may return the computer and re-order and just deal with the wait. I have a feeling I’ll be pretty damn happy as is though.

chumps

Cancelled
Sep 2, 2020
For 2D motion graphics I imagine 32 GB should be plenty but if you can afford it I'd max out ram and GPU stuff. A GPU w/ 64 GB of memory is quite special.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.