Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogerx43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Hey everyone! It's been a week since I've received my MacBook Pro 14" with the base configuration and the 96 w charger, I hope to give you some idea of how the experience has been. Please ask if you have any questions, I can help!

Performance/Cooling: The performance is just insane even on this base model. I've never heard the fans kick over the last week. The apps are super responsive and fast, render times are a lot shorter. The only problem I had was "window server" using 115% cpu. It started getting too hot and when I checked the I saw this. I've contacted Apple Support and they told me to reset the SMC which eventually solved the problem.

Battery Life: The battery life is worse compared to the 13" m1 MacBook Pro, but it still outcompetes almost every pro laptop out there. I lose about 6% an hour while web browsing with just Safari running. If I also have WhatsApp and a few other apps running it consumes about 13% of battery an hour. No native support for some apps is just frustrating. Come on, it has been a year since the release! WhatsApp consumes a lot more power than it deserves. Fast charging works quite well; it takes about half an hour to reach 50%, an hour to reach 85% and two hours to fully charge.

Design/Portability: When I first saw the photos of the new MacBooks, I was very disappointed because of how chunky it looked. However, I can say that it looks much better than in person. In fact, I now like the design more than the previous Macbook Pros. I didn't notice a huge portability difference between the 13" and 14", it is still very portable.

Display: The display is amazing-with a few problems. The pixel intensity and HDR brightness is fabulous, but there are problems with ProMotion. The scrolling in Safari is very laggy, inertia scrolling doesn't seem to be working correctly with ProMotion. I contacted Apple Support a few times but nothing solved it. I hope they'll solve this asap. Another problem is blooming, I'm very disappointed about how much it ruins the experience. I guess that's a trade off we have to give for a good display.

Overall: My experience has been great with these, but it definitely wasn't flawless. I had many problems that I wasn't expected, but other than those these are truly next-gen. Battery life is great, performance is great, design is great. Please ask if you have questions, I'd love to help!

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
Hey everyone! It's been a week since I've received my MacBook Pro 14" with the base configuration and the 96 w charger, I hope to give you some idea of how the experience has been. Please ask if you have any questions, I can help!

Performance/Cooling: The performance is just insane even on this base model. I've never heard the fans kick over the last week. The apps are super responsive and fast, render times are a lot shorter. The only problem I had was "window server" using 115% cpu. It started getting too hot and when I checked the I saw this. I've contacted Apple Support and they told me to reset the SMC which eventually solved the problem.

Battery Life: The battery life is worse compared to the 13" m1 MacBook Pro, but it still outcompetes almost every pro laptop out there. I lose about 6% an hour while web browsing with just Safari running. If I also have WhatsApp and a few other apps running it consumes about 13% of battery an hour. No native support for some apps is just frustrating. Come on, it has been a year since the release! WhatsApp consumes a lot more power than it deserves. Fast charging works quite well; it takes about half an hour to reach 50%, an hour to reach 85% and two hours to fully charge.

Design/Portability: When I first saw the photos of the new MacBooks, I was very disappointed because of how chunky it looked. However, I can say that it looks much better than in person. In fact, I now like the design more than the previous Macbook Pros. I didn't notice a huge portability difference between the 13" and 14", it is still very portable.

Display: The display is amazing-with a few problems. The pixel intensity and HDR brightness is fabulous, but there are problems with ProMotion. The scrolling in Safari is very laggy, inertia scrolling doesn't seem to be working correctly with ProMotion. I contacted Apple Support a few times but nothing solved it. I hope they'll solve this asap. Another problem is blooming, I'm very disappointed about how much it ruins the experience. I guess that's a trade off we have to give for a good display.

Overall: My experience has been great with these, but it definitely wasn't flawless. I had many problems that I wasn't expected, but other than those these are truly next-gen. Battery life is great, performance is great, design is great. Please ask if you have questions, I'd love to help!
Do you still have your m1 13" mbp? I'm curious just how much more battery life you got from that one. (I mean real world usage not Apple's specs. Thanks for the update.

rogerx43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
How do you do this on the new MBPs?
1- Shut down your Mac.
2- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
3- Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

If the issue persists, follow these steps to reset the SMC:
1- Shut down your Mac.
2- On your built-in keyboard, press and hold all of the following keys. Your Mac might turn on.
• Control  on the left side of your keyboard
• Option (Alt)  on the left side of your keyboard
• Shift  on the right side of your keyboard
3- Keep holding all three keys for 7 seconds, then press and hold the power button as well. If your Mac is on, it will turn off as you hold the keys.
1- Keep holding all four keys for another 7 seconds, then release them.
2- Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

rogerx43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Do you still have your m1 13" mbp? I'm curious just how much more battery life you got from that one. (I mean real world usage not Apple's specs. Thanks for the update.
I got around 10 hours on daily usage (safari, WhatsApp, chrome, mail) and around 15 hours when only safari is open. I haven't done any demanding tasks on that so I can't say anything. Hope it gives you an idea!

Reactions: dizmonk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.