Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
I've had my 14" MBP Max Pro since launch and it is THE fastest and most useable machine I've ever had, and I've had many Mac Pros and dozens of MBPs. Been happy as a clam with it and it hasn't skipped a beat!

Today while doing some general browsing, I started to see this flicker on my screen. Then, upon changing the brightness, it came back. Going up and down in brightness levels showed that some of the LED backlight zones seem to be failing, or something. I know the Pro XDR screen is different in technology than all previous MBPs so I'm not exactly sure how the hardware works, but, this isn't a good sign.

I took a quick video and made an appointment with the genius bar. I rebooted it just to see if it would return, and low and behold, it is now gone. So it may not be exclusively hardware related. I'm posting this in case anyone else has a similar issue down the road.

I have the full AppleCare+ so I'm not worried about it at all, other than if I have to send it away for repair I'll be without a good machine for a while which is no fun.

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
yikes. sorry to see that. :(

I've been less than impressed with my MBP 14", tap to click being intermittent, audio DACs not working right etc. The battery life on my old Intel MBP may have sucked, but everything else was fine.

Nocturnal-G

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
yikes. sorry to see that. :(

I've been less than impressed with my MBP 14", tap to click being intermittent, audio DACs not working right etc. The battery life on my old Intel MBP may have sucked, but everything else was fine.

What was wrong with the DAC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.