Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Playing with my new 14” today and the mic volume when recording in Messages or Voice Memos is very low, have to up the input volume in sound settings to max to make it the same volume at half volume on my 2020 27” iMac or 2017 MacBook Pro 15”

DDuser

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2021
Playing with my new 14” today and the mic volume when recording in Messages or Voice Memos is very low, have to up the input volume in sound settings to max to make it the same volume at half volume on my 2020 27” iMac or 2017 MacBook Pro 15”
Did you eventually figure this out, wondering if it's the same issue with my new MacBook Pro 14 inch, seems to be intermittently low in some apps, checked the mic settings

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Did you eventually figure this out, wondering if it's the same issue with my new MacBook Pro 14 inch, seems to be intermittently low in some apps, checked the mic settings
I did not.. I have it all the way to 100% for input volume in system preferences but its still very low.

DDuser

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2021
I think it is a software issue, seems to be in only some applications
I have not found a solution but using 3.5 mm external gooseneck microphone

isommers1

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
I've frequently had people say during video calls when I'm using my 14" MBP that I sound really quiet. System Preferences shows that the input volume is all the way up. I'm not sure what the issue is.

I use Google Duo/Meet in Safari most, but the same problem happens on FaceTime, so it's not an app issue. Weird thing is, when I recorded myself in QuickTime using an external mic vs internal mic, the internal mic sounds much louder. So I know it's not a hardware issue.

Has anyone else noticed this issue, and if so, any suggestions? Is there a software setting on the mic that may be ducking my input sound somehow that I can disable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.