Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Just a heads up, but I just noticed that YouTube is now letting 6plus users watch 1440p videos on their iPhones, just as iPad Pro users have been able to for weeks! Doesn't really make sense given the screen resolution, but I guess now it's an option!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You can also watch 1440p on the iPad Air 2 and mini 3. Even my MacBook Air has that option but the screen is nowhere near that resolution

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Youtube encoding is strange. I find that the highest option you have, the better, even if your screen doesn't technically support it.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Youtube encoding is strange. I find that the highest option you have, the better, even if your screen doesn't technically support it.

That's how it always is. Watching 4K video on a 1920x1080 display always looks better than a full HD video even though it's downscaled. It's always best to watch videos on the highest possible resolution even if your screen doesn't support it

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
That's how it always is. Watching 4K video on a 1920x1080 display always looks better than a full HD video even though it's downscaled. It's always best to watch videos on the highest possible resolution even if your screen doesn't support it
I mean particularly YouTube though. Their encoding is rather lackluster imo. At least it was when I frequented YouTube shows. Their 1080p feeds look better even in a tiny window of a tab on our htpc that only has a 1080p screen (meaning the video is running at maybe 1/4 that in my example). I'm unsure what they do but I haven't encountered this stark difference anywhere but YouTube

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.