Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glenn.955

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before - did a search but didn't see anything.

I just got a 27" TB display and have my MBP next to it with the displays extended.

My issue is that there is a "step" at the bottom of the retina display up to the MBP and I'm always getting caught on it.

Is there an app (or something clever that I am unaware of) that "virtually" scales the MBP to eliminate the step and makes it easier to navigate between monitors?

TIA

Glenn.

Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 12.32.54 AM.png

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before - did a search but didn't see anything.

I just got a 27" TB display and have my MBP next to it with the displays extended.

My issue is that there is a "step" at the bottom of the retina display up to the MBP and I'm always getting caught on it.

Is there an app (or something clever that I am unaware of) that "virtually" scales the MBP to eliminate the step and makes it easier to navigate between monitors?

TIA

Glenn.

View attachment 616217

In that dialog box in your screenshot you can drag down the blue window on the right so that it aligns at the bottom instead of the top. Not sure that's the solution you want (as long as you have different resolutions with different heights there will be a 'step' somewhere), but worth a try.

Glenn.955

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Thanks but that will just move the issue somewhere else. I was hoping for a solution that if the mouse is at the bottom of the left screen and move right you end up at the bottom of the right screen.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Just drag the laptop screen lower so that it rests in the middle of the right edge. That should help with it.

Glenn.955

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Vincenz, Thx - but there will still be the step (or in this case two of them). I was hoping there would be a way that if you are 95% of the way down the left monitor and move right it will ignore the step and you end up 95% of the way down the right monitor.

I guess such a solution don't exist. :(

Thanks for all suggestions.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Other than that, I don't think you can customize it any further than getting another display of the same size and resolution. It shouldn't really be that much of an issue really-- why would you be moving the cursor from screen to screen from either the very top or the very bottom anyway?

All you really have to do is teach yourself to move the windows around as the screens are laid out physically. If the top of your laptop screen is below the top of your monitor screen, logically then you would follow the physical lines of the monitors. Right now you are trying to interact with it in this "virtual" expectation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.