Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jas07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi All,

Ive just upgraded to a 15" rMBP and a rather annoying problem I've got that I cant seem to resolve is on my MBA I could double tap the trackpad and on the second tap not release and that would perform the same action as clicking and holding but it doesn't seem to be working on the rMBP?

Ive had a look around the trackpad settings but came to no avail :confused: single tap to click is enabled and working fine.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks
Jas

Last edited:

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Hi All,

Ive just upgraded to a 15" rMBP and a rather annoying problem I've got that I cant seem to resolve is on my MBA I could double tap the trackpad and on the second tap not release and that would perform the same action as clicking and holding but it doesn't seem to be working on the rMBP?

Ive had a look around the trackpad settings but came to no avail :confused: single tap to click is enabled and working fine.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks
Jas

I think I know why. I can drag like this on my 2010 cMBP, but when I checked out all the rMBP and MBA in Apple stores they don't do this. This is because the newer notebooks don't have a "tapping input delay". Click on links on your old MBA by tapping - you may notice a .5 second delay before the link starts to load (blue bar at top appearing). Do the same with your rMBP. When you Tap on links, they will start loading instantly.

The only solution to situtations like this is to actually click the trackpad to drag.

Edit: The reason why newer notebooks have less of a delay (which the delay would have allowed for more time to add another tap) is probably - well obviously newer faster technology of input registration, and to make tapping things faster making for an overall faster UI experience.

jas07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Resolved!

For anyone else with same problem: Settings > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad options!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.