Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
New England
I own the 1st model and do basic programming, surfing, email and a video or 2, on wifi or hard wired, On average I get less then 5 hours of battery life from being fully charged. I'm on my 2nd computer, I took it the first one to the apple store the lead genius said that they did not see anything wrong with the first computer but were going to give me a brand new one "which I have" and see what happens with this one. So far I'm seeing the same thing where the battery life dwindles down after the first hour and keeps dropping. I've already been on the phone with apple care and gone through a basic tech to a lead tech given them all the numbers and answers to there question's and they have no clue as to what's going on and why the battery is draining. One tech did say if you leave it in standby or sleep mode you'll get 9 plus hours of battery life. I've already gone through the activity monitor and there's nothing of high usage for CPU or Energy. In order to be a high end display you remove the CD drive put in bigger battery that holds a charge for 5 hour's of less :eek:

My feelings are that why does it cost $2800.00 for this computer with applecare and 5 hour's of battery life? I went by best buy who is in the same mall and the apple rep there said he's heard of the poor battery life but for the most part he really does not sell the high end 15" rMBP's , most people buy the 13" ones or the MBA.

Is there anyone with the 2.0 model with out the dedicated video card that is having better battery life or is it the same?

Thank you in advance.

Returned to the store

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I own the 1st model and do basic programming, surfing, email and a video or 2, on wifi or hard wired, On average I get less then 5 hours of battery life from being fully charged. I'm on my 2nd computer, I took it the first one to the apple store the lead genius said that they did not see anything wrong with the first computer but were going to give me a brand new one "which I have" and see what happens with this one. So far I'm seeing the same thing where the battery life dwindles down after the first hour and keeps dropping. I've already been on the phone with apple care and gone through a basic tech to a lead tech given them all the numbers and answers to there question's and they have no clue as to what's going on and why the battery is draining. One tech did say if you leave it in standby or sleep mode you'll get 9 plus hours of battery life. I've already gone through the activity monitor and there's nothing of high usage for CPU or Energy. In order to be a high end display you remove the CD drive put in bigger battery that holds a charge for 5 hour's of less :eek:

My feelings are that why does it cost $2800.00 for this computer with applecare and 5 hour's of battery life? I went by best buy who is in the same mall and the apple rep there said he's heard of the poor battery life but for the most part he really does not sell the high end 15" rMBP's , most people buy the 13" ones or the MBA.

Is there anyone with the 2.0 model with out the dedicated video card that is having better battery life or is it the same?

Thank you in advance.

It's more or less the same. I get around 8 hours by using gfxcardstatus to force my machine into the Iris Pro and not use the GT750M.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
New England
It's more or less the same. I get around 8 hours by using gfxcardstatus to force my machine into the Iris Pro and not use the GT750M.

Thank you, I just read about it on Github, supports mavericks, will give it a try it's on Intel Iris Pro.

Thanks again

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Thank you, I just read about it on Github, supports mavericks, will give it a try it's on Intel Iris Pro.

Thanks again

gfxcardstatus is always a good idea. not only because you can select (but only if all "dGPU Apps" are closed), but because you see when the discrete GPU is used, which is nearly as important. Iris Pro is more than capable for normal use and my girlfriends 2.6Ghz Iris Pro only 15" has been running for hours. Never took the time, but I'd say 7-10 hours (surfing, watching videos, browsing)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.