Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

15" tbMBP: Has the battery life improved with latest Sierra update??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

soms_user

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Amsterdam
Are you guys seeing any kind of improvements in Battery life 15" tbMBP with the latest Sierra 10.12.2 update??

The existing battery life thread has become quite big now so created a new thread to get faster updates. My return date is fast approaching and I have do start some serious considerations now with your inputs hopefully.

And please no troubleshooting in this thread - even a simple yes/no (or, voting) will suffice. :)

For troubleshooting and more for battery life please look into the existing battery life thread.

Last edited:

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I started running this morning at 9 AM. It is now 6:30 PM. It was off for 1 or so hours of time in there. It's been a lighter use day (Safari, Word, PowerPoint, some iTunes) with 50% brightness and I still have 10%.

edit: specs = 2.7 15" w/ 460. 1TB, 16GB.

Reactions: soms_user

KirekkusuPT

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
Before update I would get from 9h to 17h with 10% battery left (I would stop along the way to lunch tho). Now I get from 9h to 18h with 20% left.

I'm amazed.

15'' Silver, Radeon Pro 460, 2.7Ghz, 512Gb SSD.

Reactions: soms_user

Samtb

macrumors 65832
Jan 6, 2013
Does the 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro have better battery life than the dell xps 15 4K?

ebewo

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
UK
Does the 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro have better battery life than the dell xps 15 4K?
Battery life on the Dell XPS 15(4K) is approximately 06:36 with regular use. Therefore, I would say no.

soms_user

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Amsterdam

happypeople

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
I only just received my 15" yesterday and immediately updated to 10.12.2, so today was my first time using the MacBook without being connected to power and so far battery life has been excellent. I currently have 23% battery left after 12 hours and 12 minutes of use today. About 2 hours of that time has been in standby, the other 10 hours have been pretty constant use though.

bigdogn12

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
I only just received my 15" yesterday and immediately updated to 10.12.2, so today was my first time using the MacBook without being connected to power and so far battery life has been excellent. I currently have 23% battery left after 12 hours and 12 minutes of use today. About 2 hours of that time has been in standby, the other 10 hours have been pretty constant use though.

How are you measuring these times so accurately? An app?

happypeople

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
How are you measuring these times so accurately? An app?

I have been measuring as accurately as I can using the stopwatch on my iPhone, starting and stopping it throughout the day as I use the machine. I know it's not perfect, but it's the best way I know of.

I also keep activity monitor open and compare my time used, to the total time on battery in the energy tab.

I will update tomorrow with the difference between time on battery and time spent using the machine as well as what apps I have had open.

If I have an opportunity I will try and track my usage by app and activity one day to provide a better estimate.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Even considering the battery issues with the 2016 mbp?

I will reserve my judgement on that until we receive our models and I can test them out. So far, all actual tests done by well-established third party, show that the battery life of the 2016 15" models is good to very good and hours better than the Dell, in consistent and objective tests. I am certainly not dismissing reports of some users here who say that they are only getting 3-4 hours mixed use, but there are also multiple reports of much better battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.