Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Just received my new MacBook Pro after waiting a month its the base model upgrading from a 2013 MacBook Air. I decided to set it up as a new machine and did not transfer anything from my air. So far I did the setup and installed the following apps Carrot weather, IVPN, Brave browser, ProtonBridge, TOR browser, Telegram and Signal. All these applications run fine on my air so I didn't see any issues installing them on my new machine also used the silicon versions when possible. Installs went fine and I decided to put the machine to sleep instead of turning it off since I have read they do indexing etc behind the scenes when they are new. Today the machine was very warm to the touch hotter than my air has ever been and its fans were on. I unlocked the machine and went to check my email and it beach balled for about 10-15 seconds before opening the mail app everything was working fine otherwise until the machine shut itself off automatically for excess heat. I waited 30 minutes and turned it back on and about 45 minutes later the same thing happened again. The third time I turned it on and watched the CPU and ram usage they stayed very low 1-3% area after it booted but the temperature continued to climb with no apps open but didn't get hot enough to shut off until I opened an app this time Safari. I finally thought it may be resolved by updating to 12.0.1 but that seems to have no effect either any other suggestions for what I should be looking at?

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Please let us know how it turns out
Took it in this morning was able to easily replicate the issue in store. They did a complete reinstall and tried again with only the default apps installed it still overheated. They took it into the back and came out a few minutes later and said the internals were physically damaged and this is most likely causing the heating issues and throttling a more senior genius maybe a manager came out to apologize and said they have been seeing more QC issues than normal lately. We put in a replacement order which the earliest arrival is now December 17th but I am also joining a list to get one at the store if they come back in stock before that order ships. Also received a gift card for my trouble which I used towards the Airpods Max. Wish I could have seen the internals or got some pictures.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Took it in this morning was able to easily replicate the issue in store. They did a complete reinstall and tried again with only the default apps installed it still overheated. They took it into the back and came out a few minutes later and said the internals were physically damaged and this is most likely causing the heating issues and throttling a more senior genius maybe a manager came out to apologize and said they have been seeing more QC issues than normal lately. We put in a replacement order which the earliest arrival is now December 17th but I am also joining a list to get one at the store if they come back in stock before that order ships. Also received a gift card for my trouble which I used towards the Airpods Max. Wish I could have seen the internals or got some pictures.
thanks for the detailed update...I hope one arrives earlier....glad they at least gave the GC for your troubles.

Reactions: sionell

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
I still have my 2013 Air to hold me over but man after using that 16 inch display its hard to go back to the lower resolution and I haven't even started on photo editing etc. yet.

Reactions: Buck987

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Did it overheat in a sleeve/bag or just sitting in open on table?

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012

Probably they did not apply Thermal paste correctly in the factory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.