Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Last month my 16" 2021 MBP was in its "paused charging" mode I let it enter every odd week as I usually keep it plugged in all the time. But after coming out of a meeting, I noticed by the green charger LED that it had suddenly charged to 100%? I opened the lid and the screen had dimmed as if I had unplugged it, and the battery graph in the system settings confirmed an interruption. I thought it was odd, checked the charger+cable but wrote it off as power loss as there was maintenance being performed in the building at the same time. Although, none of the other (Apple) devices in my home did this around that time.

Everything seemed fine up until this Sunday when it was in the paused state again for the first time since the previous incident, and I open it up to find the screen dimmed and it charging towards 100% once again with the same type of interruption just minutes before opening the lid... I was starting to get concerned, but I've had relatives desktop PCs just randomly shut off in the past week in the same area that were most likely due to grid spikes, so I wrote this one off as well.

But today when I opened the lid, screen was dimmed and there was an interruption according to the battery graph once again...

I've unplugged and checked the MagSafe-connector + USB-C cable several times since the first time it occurred without any difference. I have my iPad charger connected to the same power strip, and its battery graph never shows an interruption. I feel like this started happening shortly after the USB-C cable firmware update in February. Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on here?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I'm not sure I follow that 100%, but it sounds like you haven't tried another charger and cable yet. But before you try that, I'd suggest plugging it directly into the wall outlet instead of a power strip just to be sure. Then try another charger and cable.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I'm not sure I follow that 100%, but it sounds like you haven't tried another charger and cable yet. But before you try that, I'd suggest plugging it directly into the wall outlet instead of a power strip just to be sure. Then try another charger and cable.
Correct, I was planning on trying that next. I don't have any spare 140W charger or USB-C-MagSafe 3 cable around though, and they're almost $200 combined over here...

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Correct, I was planning on trying that next. I don't have any spare 140W charger or USB-C-MagSafe 3 cable around though, and they're almost $200 combined over here...

If they don't make a difference, you should be able to return them for a refund. If they work, that's cheaper than a new MBP.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
If they don't make a difference, you should be able to return them for a refund. If they work, that's cheaper than a new MBP.
I think I only have a 14 day NQA refund period through Apple here, best case 30 days. And this issue managed to go over a month without occurring again.. But I guess it's better than a new 16" right now, prices up by almost $600 here with the M2 refresh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.