Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
I made an appointment with Apple, for today, after a horizontal black line appeared across the top of my display. Everything I have found online tells me the display will need replacing. I'm a full-time student (simultaneous undergrad/grad), so I am really hoping they will be able to fix it in store. Luckily, I have my iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard that I can work with, if need be.

It's funny this popped up just days after noticing vertical streaks that I'm told are most likely a from a poorly applied coating.

Anyone know if any stores are doing display replacements on the new MBPs?

Edit: Update 2/15/22: Genius said it is a row of dead pixels and needed to be sent out for repair. It will be 3-5 days to get it back. Hoping for 3 ?

Update 2/18/22: So I dropped off my MBP with Apple on Tuesday and just received it back today (Friday). The repair slip said that the lid/display was replaced, as well as a hinge sensor. I'm not sure if it's standard practice to replace the sensor with the lid, but I'm happy. The display looks even better than my last one—no runs in the coating :D. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I also notice that a couple software bugs seem to be gone. For example, my globe key was really laggy and would cause Messages to hang up for a second or two. I also no longer need to click on the window I want to type on after switching between "spaces." Overall, I'm really happy with the service and super glad to have my baby back. Working on the iPad was doable, but definitely not the same.
IMG_0691.jpg

Last edited:

ADHWGT

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2016
Tokyo
This happened to me and a restart fixed it. Don't remember if I needed to reset NVRAM/PRAM/SMC though, as this was a couple of months ago.

Reactions: ZacKaffeine

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
This happened to me and a restart fixed it. Don't remember if I needed to reset NVRAM/PRAM/SMC though, as this was a couple of months ago.
I did try a restart, but thought M1s couldn’t do that reset? I’m headed to the store now, so we’ll see. I’ll post an update.

ADHWGT

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2016
Tokyo
I did try a restart, but thought M1s couldn’t do that reset? I’m headed to the store now, so we’ll see. I’ll post an update.
Hm, I'm sure you're right about that – as I said, I don't remember if I needed to reset anything, just that it was a really quick and easy fix. Fingers crossed the same applies in your case!

Reactions: ZacKaffeine

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Hm, I'm sure you're right about that – as I said, I don't remember if I needed to reset anything, just that it was a really quick and easy fix. Fingers crossed the same applies in your case!
So it is a row of dead pixels and it needed to be sent out for repair. 3-5 days ‘til I get it back.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I'd say it's unlikely to be a software issue. Sounds to me like a (row) control transistor is on the edge of failing in your case. Sometimes, hardware inputs can be 'floating' for a number of reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.