Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olivierLA75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
Hi, I own the top of the line 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max and I am thinking of purchasing 3 Studio Display to connect them to it. I would like to be able to use a dock connector and ideally have only one Thunderbolt cable from the dock to the MacBook to be able to plug and unplug it easily. it seems that you can't daisy chain the Studio Display's. Any idea of which dock to use if I want to be able to use the 3 displays at 5k resolution? it seems that my computer is able to support 4 displays with 3 up to 6k resolution but I'm really hoping that I will not have to connect a cable to the computer for each of the display...
Last, does anybody knows how would the display speakers and webcam work on a 3 displays config? will the sound only come out of the display in the center or the three of them?
thanks
Olivier

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
it seems that you can't daisy chain the Studio Display's.
Correct.

Any idea of which dock to use if I want to be able to use the 3 displays at 5k resolution?
None. A Thunderbolt 3/4 dock or hub can only provide two DisplayPort signals — for connecting two displays to the dock or hub. The third display needs to be connected directly to the Mac.

will the sound only come out of the display in the center or the three of them?
You select which display’s speakers to use.

Last edited:

spazer

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Northern California
None. A Thunderbolt 3/4 dock or hub can only provide two DisplayPort signals — for connecting two displays to the dock or hub. The third display needs to be connected directly to the Mac.

Can a Thunderbolt 4 Dock support 2 Studio Displays at 5K?

So, 2 Studio Displays connected to the Thunderbolt 4 dock, and one cable from the dock to the M1 Max MacBook Pro.

Or, 1 Studio Display at 5K (connected via TB cable to dock), and 1 4K monitor (connected via DisplayPort cable to dock) and just 1 cable connecting the Thunderbolt 4 dock to the M1 Max MacBook Pro.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
I don't think there's any thunderbolt 4 docks that can support more than 1 5k 60 hz monitor. Happy to be proven wrong though

Fastball32

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
I don't think there's any thunderbolt 4 docks that can support more than 1 5k 60 hz monitor. Happy to be proven wrong though
Looks like the Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 TS4 dock can handle Two 6K monitors at 60Hz. You would need to connect the 3rd directly to a TB4 port directly to the Macbook Pro 16

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011

Looks like the Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 TS4 dock can handle Two 6K monitors at 60Hz. You would need to connect the 3rd directly to a TB4 port directly to the Macbook Pro 16
CalDigit Element Hub will also support 2 Apple Studio Displays at 5K60 via one TB4 connection.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
CalDigit Element Hub will also support 2 Apple Studio Displays at 5K60 via one TB4 connection.
Any Thunderbolt 3/4 dock/hub can provide two HBR2 connections. The Studio Display needs one HBR2+DSC connection for 5K60, so two Studio Displays should be no problem at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.