Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
I am 99.5% ready to make a major purchasing decision on Apple hardware and thought i would run it by this community of enthusiasts to see if there were any cautions I should be mindful of and or something to expect. This decision is a significant departure from what i had originally planned on doing and it reduces the amount of money that i had intended on spending overall on Apple products in this refresh cycle i am going through… Its already been delayed by over 6 months, and now the amount is being reduced, a lose/lose for Apple. Unfortunately, this is all due to Apple, its attitude, and lack of taking ownership of a situation that has been present with some of the Mac Studio machines since that model was released, and also their lack of releasing a significant upgrade/options to the Mac Mini model…

My original plan was to buy one of the Mac Studio’s that was significantly upgraded (including M1 Ultra chip) pushing it into the $4000+ range AND also purchasing a MacBook Air for lighter tasks when traveling or not at my work desk.

I have since decided to go with a 16” MacBook Pro that has been significantly upgraded to nearly equal specs (M1 Max chip) and loaded with RAM, etc…

For use at the work desk, the 16” Laptop will be outfitted with whats needed to expand its USB-C Thunderbolt 3/4 ports so it can be used in the same way the Mac Studio would have been with multiple monitors, Logitech MX Keyboard/Mouse, and all other things… etc… All using a vertical stand/docking station and the laptop being in clamshell mode.

My question to this community is do any of you think there is some pitfalls or what one might view as unexpected circumstances with this setup?? I value your opinions and look forward to any and all replies… as it may give me something to look at that i missed in my initial evaluations.

Personally, I think the MacBook Pro laptop is scorching fast and plenty powerful… and it is at the top of its class… which will easily fill the shoes of the Mac Studio…

Cheers!

46961502-799A-468B-8BC6-197016CF8B35.gif

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
There are certain pitfalls associated with using the Pro, Max and Ultra M1 chips with certain external hardware which the regular M1 did not suffer from. I don't know if the M2 version suffers from the same, but I know I can't afford to buy one just for the sake of testing it.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
From what you describe, it seems like the MBP 16” Max will be on your desk for the most part.

If that’s the case, then I would execute your original plan, albeit modified:
1. Get Studio Max (not Ultra). That would obviate any need for hubs and such and would be an obviously more natural desktop computer. It seems like you’ve decided that M1 Max will fit your needs.
2. Get a base M1 Air. For “traveling and not at your work desk”, the 16” MBP is not a lot of fun.

For roughly $3k, you’ve got you’re bases covered.

generationfourth

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2017
I would stick to 14” if you are docking into larger/bigger monitors at your desk for primary work. For secondary work/portability the 14” is much more ideal than 16”.

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
I would stick to 14” if you are docking into larger/bigger monitors at your desk for primary work. For secondary work/portability the 14” is much more ideal than 16”.
External monitors are limited to, two on the 14” from what i understand… and four on the 16” - i want to utilize 3 standalone externals in my setup.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
External monitors are limited to, two on the 14” from what i understand… and four on the 16” - i want to utilize 3 standalone externals in my setup.
The M1 Max can handle 4 external displays in both the 14" and 16" machines. It's only the M1 Pro that is limited to 2 connected displays.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Are you dead set against the Studio?

I reread your original post a little more carefully and it seems there's an issue that is preventing you from purchasing.

"Unfortunately, this is all due to Apple, its attitude, and lack of taking ownership of a situation that has been present with some of the Mac Studio machines since that model was released"

What is it? The whine/noise that some users have reported?

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
Unless you want or need more memory than the 32GB limit of the M1 Pro, get the M1 Pro based MBP and save cash.
I wish Apple didn’t limit the Pro to 32GB, but it it seems they like flipping off their customers these days; - or i would stay with the pro based on the brench marks results…but the biggest way i look at it, i may not need the extra RAM today, but by time the machine is approaching end of life i will need it… in 5-7 years… and there is no going back and asking to have more added… another Apple anti - consumer flip off…

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
From what you describe, it seems like the MBP 16” Max will be on your desk for the most part.

If that’s the case, then I would execute your original plan, albeit modified:
1. Get Studio Max (not Ultra). That would obviate any need for hubs and such and would be an obviously more natural desktop computer. It seems like you’ve decided that M1 Max will fit your needs.
2. Get a base M1 Air. For “traveling and not at your work desk”, the 16” MBP is not a lot of fun.

For roughly $3k, you’ve got you’re bases covered.
Sorry, I missed this one as i was scanning the replies earlier… getting a Studio with any chip is out of the question for me at this point - i have ruled them out based on Apples inability to deal with or properly address the high pitch whine may people are experiencing, and then sending in their squad of PR trolls to the various forums to try and dispel the idea there is a problem and the noises are within “spec”…; These complaints have been going on for months and i have yet to read one official acknowledgment from Apple, and haven’t read any anecdotal accounts that Apple actually gave a ****. To me the perception is Apple is going to ignore this until their hand is forced… and i just can’t reward that kind of attitude by risking a purchase on a luck of the draw i would get one not inflicted with the problem.

The 16” MacBook Pro with the M1 Max checks off most, if not all the boxes for RAM, GPU, and Storage capabilities. And you are right, for the most part it will remain at my desk… but in those instances when i need to have to have something when away, i just quickly unplug the couple cables attached to the dock/hub… and off i can go.

I think i will be satisfied from a horsepower and performance standpoint, so i am not sure what you mean when you say “For “traveling and not at your work desk”, the 16” MBP is not a lot of fun.

Can you elaborate?

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Sorry, I missed this one as i was scanning the replies earlier… getting a Studio with any chip is out of the question for me at this point - i have ruled them out based on Apples inability to deal with or properly address the high pitch whine may people are experiencing,
Fair enough!

I think i will be satisfied from a horsepower and performance standpoint, so i am not sure what you mean when you say “For “traveling and not at your work desk”, the 16” MBP is not a lot of fun.

Can you elaborate?
It's just so darn big.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
Seems like you have it figured out. But more importantly, what are you using a computer for? What tasks on a daily basis etc. The models your choosing along with the need for peripherals suggest video editing if I had to guess.

Odds are you're going to be best served with a laptop and just dock it where you need it. And you would by no means be falling short of power anywhere.

IF you do really need the power you think you do, the Mac that you would want / need hasn't been released yet - and thats going to be the Mac Pro with M series processors.

Reactions: TightLines

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2022

It's just so darn big.
LoL - comparatively, it’s not. The screen size is perfect when trying to get a little work done, and the weight/dimensions is as compact as you can get them for a full size laptop… My only other (apart from a company PC that i was issued) laptop in my life was when i was running my own business and i was lugging it around… - lets just say, there is no equivalence to todays beautiful machines.

Yup, I lugged one of these G3 PowerBook’s (14” i think) around in a laptop bag with extra adapters, cables, external drives, CD’s, etc… that was a workout i it’s own right.

67B93482-347A-4698-891C-A3564A97A68E.jpeg

The PowerBook G3 Series started at $2,299 for 233 MHz with no floppy drive and a 12" screen, and cost around $7,000 fully loaded.

Reactions: steve217

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
Seems like you have it figured out. But more importantly, what are you using a computer for? What tasks on a daily basis etc. The models your choosing along with the need for peripherals suggest video editing if I had to guess.

Odds are you're going to be best served with a laptop and just dock it where you need it. And you would by no means be falling short of power anywhere.

IF you do really need the power you think you do, the Mac that you would want / need hasn't been released yet - and thats going to be the Mac Pro with M series processors.
That and then some on your daily basis usage question; - video and photography and a mix of some CAD work i dabble in from time to time. Plus your normal day to day screwing around, like watching youtube, web surfing, office management things, and some light database design/work… a whole hodge podge of things to be honest.

I had the big box once (G5 Quad running Dual Processors) in the past (actually still have it tucked away not in use) and decided i didn’t like living inside the data center it made the room sound like… an awfully powerful machine, but they can make some noise! - so even with SSD and the like, I can still see those being noise machines designed more for the rack than in the office setting… it will be interesting to see what Apple does with self service expandability for this lineup… if they take that away like they’re doing with everything else, they’re pissing off their last line of true loyalty to their brand…

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
you sure about that? i'm on 14inch m1 max and have 3 monitors hooked up.

so you basically want something powerful enough on your desk, and then on occasions take it with you on the go?

why not just get a 14inch, its every bit as powerful as the studio besides the m1 ultra, it doesn't get hot, i been pushing mine for a week now and i notice no slow down despite me occupying 55gb of ram on avg. i also upgraded from a mba that i borrowed from my wife for a month, it's slightly heavier and a tad bigger but other than that completely portable.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I wish Apple didn’t limit the Pro to 32GB, but it it seems they like flipping off their customers these days; - or i would stay with the pro based on the brench marks results…but the biggest way i look at it, i may not need the extra RAM today, but by time the machine is approaching end of life i will need it… in 5-7 years… and there is no going back and asking to have more added… another Apple anti - consumer flip off…
Mind you 32GB is not going to become obsolete anytime soon. In fact, 8GB (when initially available in Late 2008) just started to become tight after 14 years. So yes, I highly doubt you will have issues with 32GB.

Although, if you have the cash to spend, by all means.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
That and then some on your daily basis usage question; - video and photography and a mix of some CAD work i dabble in from time to time. Plus your normal day to day screwing around, like watching youtube, web surfing, office management things, and some light database design/work… a whole hodge podge of things to be honest.

I had the big box once (G5 Quad running Dual Processors) in the past (actually still have it tucked away not in use) and decided i didn’t like living inside the data center it made the room sound like… an awfully powerful machine, but they can make some noise! - so even with SSD and the like, I can still see those being noise machines designed more for the rack than in the office setting… it will be interesting to see what Apple does with self service expandability for this lineup… if they take that away like they’re doing with everything else, they’re pissing off their last line of true loyalty to their brand…
Good news is the 16 inch is going to cut through all of those tasks like butter. M1 Ultra would be nice I'm sure, but spec the 16 out nicely and you should be good to go.

I use my 14 inch M1 Max everyday for 8-10 hours using composing large audio sessions, edit 4k video content and get into some hefty Photoshop sessions all while having a few browser tabs open along with a few different trading platforms open.

Not one hiccup. Think you're making a good choice for your needs.

generationfourth

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2017
from what I understand it is the M1 pro that has the fewer monitor limitations.

Can you elaborate?
I can add to this. I've always had the 15"/16" chassis for the past 10 years, and when my employer recently sent me the 14" it was night/day difference how much more portable the 14" chassis is. I think a lot of people agree that if you are doing your primary work on larger monitors and occasional travel or unplugging for secondary work (email, web browsing, etc) then the 14" is the way to go. Especially now that there aren't any performance drawbacks with the smaller machine.

The 16" is annoyingly big on your lap, on small cafe tables/airplane trays, in a backpack or bag, etc. I liked it for doing primary work (any program that has a large UI and screen real estate is needed) for longer periods. I think of it more as a portable workstation while the 14" is a true laptop.

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
I have a 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max 64/4TB which is the heart of my hobbyist audio/music studio. I waited PATIENTLY for the disastrous butterfly keyboard era MBPs to finally be gone. My previous machine was a 2009 MacPro. I love this new machine. Reliable, quiet and I can take it with me wherever I go. When at home, I use it with a 43 inch monitor which is easy on my oldish eyes. It’s connected via one cable to a CalDigit TS3+ dock. I considered a Studio but decided against it after reading in all the complaints about the whining noise.

9673CEC4-7978-4C50-A2B8-F0E3232B9312.jpeg

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
I have a 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max 64/4TB which is the heart of my hobbyist audio/music studio.…… I considered a Studio but decided against it after reading in all the complaints about the whining noise.
Thats a nice setup you have there… very nice!

I agree that the widely reported whining noise coming from the Mac Studio was a deal breaker for me; but i think me going to the MacBook Pro instead will be just fine and i will get everything i was hoping for.

Is that the silver color on your laptop?

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
Thats a nice setup you have there… very nice!

I agree that the widely reported whining noise coming from the Mac Studio was a deal breaker for me; but i think me going to the MacBook Pro instead will be just fine and i will get everything i was hoping for.

Is that the silver color on your laptop?

Thanks! Yes, I went with the silver.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have a 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max 64/4TB which is the heart of my hobbyist audio/music studio. I waited PATIENTLY for the disastrous butterfly keyboard era MBPs to finally be gone. My previous machine was a 2009 MacPro. I love this new machine. Reliable, quiet and I can take it with me wherever I go. When at home, I use it with a 43 inch monitor which is easy on my oldish eyes. It’s connected via one cable to a CalDigit TS3+ dock. I considered a Studio but decided against it after reading in all the complaints about the whining noise.

View attachment 2043469
Nice setup! Also, I see a UPS down there, great choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.