Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marthom45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
Can anyone offer any advice before I go and see a Genius!

My son has exceeded his password attempts and disabled the iPad, fair enough, easy to fix I thought and began reading various forums on exactly how to proceed, most point to Apple support articles & it appears there are 2 ways:

1. connect to iTunes
2. via iCloud but only if "find my iPhone" is enabled, which it is not & I have gently reminded him of its plus points other than me keeping check on where he is.

so that leaves only step 1) but it does not work (for me), when I connect to iTunes I get a message in itunes saying "to allow access please respond to your iPad" but nothing happens, the message stays there & I get no further prompts, I was expecting iTunes to recognize an iPad in recovery mode and allow me to reset back to factory settings - so what is the issue, am I missing an important step?

The iPad displays the message "iPad is disabled" & "connect to iTunes" - it will not allow me to switch it off, i.e. hold down the wake/sleep button and slide the on/off button etc. etc.

any help is appreciated.

Mark.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
You can force a reboot by holding power switch and home button for about 10 seconds.

Alternatively, you can read up on putting the iPad into DFU mode.

marthom45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
thanks that worked a treat.

The posts I had previously read led me to believe that the iPad in disabled mode once connected would be recognized by iTunes and prompt me to restore, not so as described in my post, however following your post and by pressing & holding the wake/sleep & home buttons and then releasing the wake/sleep button (after 10s) iTunes then detected the iPad and prompted me to update or restore.

thanks, Mark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.