Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony Narciso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
Hello,

I’m experiencing a weird issue with my 16in M1 Max trackpad. The center back of the trackpad (side closest to the keyboard) is raised a bit higher than the rest of the trackpad. This is actually the second unit that I’ve had with this issue. I had the initial one replaced because of it but the second one has the same problem only slightly less pronounced. Occasionally it even raises higher than the aluminum chassis by a hair or two.

I have a silver MacBook. I’ve seen M1 Max units in space gray with a perfectly symmetrical and recessed trackpad, but none of them have been BTO to my knowledge. Is this common? Is it an issue with the BTO models’ assembly line?

I’m sure it’s just a screw that can probably fix if I bring it in but it seems very odd that this is an issue with two units in a row.

teagls

macrumors regular
May 16, 2013
This is my anecdotal experience. So take with pinch of salt. I am on my 2nd replacement. All were BTO. I had one friend who also had issues and ended up returning all together. When I talked to Apple for my 2nd replacement (I'm doing a trade-in as well) the rep commented on my situation that it was common. They had just handled another customer in a similar situation. This leads me to believe there are significant quality issues. I don't know if it's lack of QA or if they are rushing to try and keep up with demand. This is not the norm for Apple.

Anthony Narciso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
This is my anecdotal experience. So take with pinch of salt. I am on my 2nd replacement. All were BTO. I had one friend who also had issues and ended up returning all together. When I talked to Apple for my 2nd replacement (I'm doing a trade-in as well) the rep commented on my situation that it was common. They had just handled another customer in a similar situation. This leads me to believe there are significant quality issues. I don't know if it's lack of QA or if they are rushing to try and keep up with demand. This is not the norm for Apple.
I want to assume you are right and that they are rushing. The machine is amazing but it’s very disheartening that the more expensive BTO models are getting the shaft quality wise when the base models seem to be pristine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.