Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Updated to 17.6 on my iPhone 13, iPad Pro 10.5 and iPad Pro M1 12.9 last night, and I have to say so far it looks like Apple really did some work on fine-tuning things.

Typing response in all apps is faster - my older Pro often would have delays if I went to backspace over some text for example, but now is snappy and responsive.

Also I'm seeing improvement in general Safari speed and responsiveness - it isn't subtle either - it's frankly a hugely-welcome change and I applaud Apples' developers!

Finally, I'm also seeing benefits in specific sites like Twitter/X. Before this update when hitting notifications, or messages in the left pane, the page would load but the actual items would have spinning icons that would never actually complete (you'd have to hit CMD-R to force a whole-page refresh). Also, most of the time, posts with inline videos wouldn't play or would play half or so of the video and then hang/stop and nothing would make them play except to copy the post URL then open a new tab in Safari and paste/go to redraw the whole post. All of this seems to be fixed now.

Great update, Apple!

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Anyone else have feedback on 17.6? I'm curious if anyone else is seeing differences.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Anyone else have feedback on 17.6? I'm curious if anyone else is seeing differences.
Yes, I've done it just now and it seems working as it should 🙂
I've backed it up before, restarted and then updated from my Mac
I was worried about the app updates in the App Store: none was showing and I know I have few
Just pulled it down to refresh and it populated immediately with all and maybe few extra
So far so good and Safari seems a little faster

Reactions: pdoherty

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Similar experience to what you have, have similar devices iPhone 13 Pro (daily driver) iPhone 14 (work) Ipad pro M1 11".

The 14 feels the same, but its mostly just sitting there being used for Teams, check mail etc.
My 13 Pro has definetly received a welcome boost in terms of battery performance. Haven't tried it using my regular usage pattern but its definitely an improvement. To early to say its a big improvement tho, but feels like it.
My 5 cent there is that there has been some sort of fix/update/fine-tuning when it comes to the communication parts in the device (Celluar/Wifi/BT).

The iPad feels a bit snappier but could be down to me just reebooting the device, haven't used it much more than for some webbrowsing and netflixing.

I have a few other devices used for test that I can't comment on yet (iPhone 11, older iPads)

Reactions: pdoherty

A Ruffian

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2024
I have my 11 Pro Max and standard iPad(9th gen)on 17.6.
The 11 Pro Max took a hit on the battery, and the screen(flickered or didn’t turn on) but that was before I replaced the battery. It was at 78% health. After that, it was fine.
The iPad did similarly, the screen flickered or didn’t turn on sometimes, and it did run warm. But performance wise it remained the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.