Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtulman1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
Hi all. Maybe this would help other people once someone can confirm Please. I have NEVER tried a public beta but like others needed to test out some of the ai features. Figured i would use it on my 15 pm before my 16 arrived. I have had NO issues with the public beta.

My question: When i turn on my 16 and backup from i cloud it’s obviously a 18.1 beta backup. I assume once transfer is complete on 16, will it be the 18.1 beta or will the transfer fail due to the different OS?

2nd question: Let’s say i want to activate 16 with 18.0 only. I am SOL with an iCloud back right? I would be forced to do a new set up?

Last question: I backed up my 15 BEFORE Moving to beta. I assume there is no way to find that backup from 2 days ago and restore my 15 to that 18.0 back and then have a simple transfer to 18 on the 16?

Hope that all makes sense. Thanks all.

BLtheP

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Texas
You will be forced to set up as new. The new phone being on an older iOS than your old phone will not transfer.

mtulman1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
You will be forced to set up as new. The new phone being on an older iOS than your old phone will not transfer.
Thank you. haven’t set up a phone as new in years. I can still have my messages and photos from iCloud import over on a new set up yes?

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
There’s an option now during set up to enroll the new phone on the beta program before you transfer the back up so you can get the new one on the new beta firmware and as such, any 18 or 18.1 backups will transfer

Reactions: jpdunn13 and BLtheP

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Hi all. Maybe this would help other people once someone can confirm Please. I have NEVER tried a public beta but like others needed to test out some of the ai features. Figured i would use it on my 15 pm before my 16 arrived. I have had NO issues with the public beta.

My question: When i turn on my 16 and backup from i cloud it’s obviously a 18.1 beta backup. I assume once transfer is complete on 16, will it be the 18.1 beta or will the transfer fail due to the different OS?

2nd question: Let’s say i want to activate 16 with 18.0 only. I am SOL with an iCloud back right? I would be forced to do a new set up?

Last question: I backed up my 15 BEFORE Moving to beta. I assume there is no way to find that backup from 2 days ago and restore my 15 to that 18.0 back and then have a simple transfer to 18 on the 16?

Hope that all makes sense. Thanks all.
If your 18.0 backup is still there as an option you should be able to select that as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.