Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bex91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, I hope it's the first of many. :)

Well, I've been using my Macbook Pro 13' for 6 months now, everything running smoothly.

I bought an external monitor today ( http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VE247H/ ) and connected to it through a VGA cable, but I can't get it to work properly with a 1920x1080 resolution.

There's always a black bar in the left side of the screen. It doesn't make any difference to the OS windows and resolution, but it's wasted space and I expect there is some way to correct this.

Another problem is that I can easily see black bars across the whole screen, specially with a dark blackground. Again, it doesn't affect the resolution but it's uncomfortable to watch.

I've searched the internet and maybe the problem can be with the VGA. Do you think a DVI cable will solve this problem? I bought the VGA adapter and I'm kinda reluctant to spend another 30$ in a similar device, so if I could continue to use the VGA cable it would be nice.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your attention!

Last edited:

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Never used an ASUS monitor, but the spec sheet on the site says it has an adjustable aspect control?

Maybe you are stuck on 4:3 as opposed to 16:9 ?

trying going through the menus and see if you can force it to 16:9, if it is indeed stuck on 4:3.

bex91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Solved with a DVI. I could't do anything regarding the aspect control, so I just bought the adapter and now everything is fine.

Thanks anyway. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.