Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
I have been using 1Password for 5 years. With DropBox sync from my Mac to my iPhone, it is as close to password vault bliss as you can get (AFAIK)..

As I have done many times, I replaced my old iPhone with another.
As always, I logged into DropBox iOS and then fired up 1Password for iOS.
I expected to enter my agilebits.com email and password.
I was greeted with a prompt for my "1Password for Family" credentials.
WTF? Family??? I looked it up. AgileBits WANTS ME TO RENT SOFTWARE!! Arrrggh..
Every Christmas I ante up $99 to Office 365 or Microsoft won't let me edit my own files.
Its the wet dream of all software companies to get customers to rent software.

Am I screwed? Do I have to rent 1Password for Families for $5/month?
Is there a way to go back to the pre "1Password for Family", pre rental world I used a week ago?
Will restoring my old ipa file onto my iPhone work?

Is there an alternative to 1Password that works with DropBox that I can import 200+ 1Password entries with?

Thank you !!

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
Why do you have to enter agilebits.com username and password? I thought that was specifically for team/family accounts?

I have 1password on all my devices and that section(1Password Accounts) is empty.

Also, I was just thinking, did you restore purchases in the app?

Last edited:

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
Why do you have to enter agilebits.com username and password? I thought that was specifically for team/family accounts?

I have 1password on all my devices and that section(1Password Accounts) is empty.

OK. I figured it out.

My 1Password software was wiped all the way back to zero. At zero, with the new version you get a fancy transparent login screen prompting for your Team or Family account with login and password. It wasn't obvious at first (since they want you to pay rent) that you can opt out by selecting "don't use an account" (I think -- its gone now). Anyway.. by selecting that you don't want the default, you go the old school options (drop box etc) and are fine.

Eventually, I guarantee.. they will force everyone to rent. Just like Office 365.

Thanks for the tip. It got me to thinking.

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
Eventually, I guarantee.. they will force everyone to rent. Just like Office 365.

That seems likely. I think all the other major password managers are subscription based (Dashlane and LastPast definitely are).

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Last year I had asked 1Password support and their reply was that standalone 1Password version will be there and subscription version was being tailored towards team/family password sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.