Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
UK
Due to being away from home for a while, I would like to move my 1Password data from my iMac to my MBP to take with me, as the iMac will be going into storage.

Not too keen on using iCloud or DropBox, so can anyone suggest another way to do this?

The only other method I can think of is manually entering all the passwords etc in manually. Even then I am not sure it will become the "Main Vault".

It seems as if WiFi sync can only be done between a mac and an iOS device, so that's out.

Thanks.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Due to being away from home for a while, I would like to move my 1Password data from my iMac to my MBP to take with me, as the iMac will be going into storage.

Not too keen on using iCloud or DropBox, so can anyone suggest another way to do this?

The only other method I can think of is manually entering all the passwords etc in manually. Even then I am not sure it will become the "Main Vault".

It seems as if WiFi sync can only be done between a mac and an iOS device, so that's out.

Thanks.
Haven't done it as use iCloud, but could you not back up to a usb stick, install 1password on MBP & restore from that?

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Copy the database (1Password.agilekeychain) to your MBP, and sync the 1Password program on the MBP to that database. That's it. I run the program on both a desktop and MBP, with the desktop being the master copy. Whenever I make changes, I just copy it over to the MBP. I also use the wi-fi sync to update iOS. I wish they would let two Macs do a wi-fi sync.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I agree with old-wiz; Dropbox is excellent for syncing the 1Password vault. You have not stated the reason for your reluctance to sync with Dropbox, but I recommend that you reconsider. If you have security concerns, remember that not only is Dropbox considered secure but in addition the 1Password vault is encrypted.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use dropbox, as well, and suggest this. Short of using cloud storage to hold the database, your only option is to manually copy the 1Password.agilekeychain to your other computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.